End of the Road

Timbuck

Reaction score
It looks like I'll be calling it a day at the end of this year and handing the workshop and equipment over to my Son Mike ..I have about 8 sopranos part built and I will complete those . Also I have maybe a dozen or so completed ones in stock that I'll be selling off on EBay from time to time for pocket money :) ...Lately I have been spending only a couple of hours a day on these ukuleles and progress is slow and my motivation is dwindling... and the arthritis pain is constantly bugging me.

Anyway that's how I feel at the moment...I'll give myself another health review at Xmas and see if things have improved or not.

May you get joy and happiness every day🙏❤️
Glad to hear that your amazing tooling and knowledge has a heir. You have truly mastered the art you pursue and I am glad that the knowledge will find its way to another human.
That said I hope you postpone your decision 🤞❤️🤙

Ken, whatever you decide we’re all grateful you and Mrs. Timms have shared your joyful hobby with the world. My soprano is a delight!

You've had a great run Ken and practically single-handedly revived international interest in the much-ignored soprano ukulele in this modern era. All the best m8. I cannot express adequately the gratitude I have and how much I cherish my friendship with you. Welcome to the land of retired giants :)

Congratulations on another retirement. You are very lucky to have a son who will carry on your fine work. I hope you continue posting on this forum, your humor and knowledge can't be replaced very easily!

It looks like I'll be calling it a day at the end of this year and handing the workshop and equipment over to my Son Mike ..I have about 8 sopranos part built and I will complete those . Also I have maybe a dozen or so completed ones in stock that I'll be selling off on EBay from time to time for pocket money :) ...Lately I have been spending only a couple of hours a day on these ukuleles and progress is slow and my motivation is dwindling... and the arthritis pain is constantly bugging me.

Anyway that's how I feel at the moment...I'll give myself another health review at Xmas and see if things have improved or not.
Ken- I've seen you solve all kinds of puzzling problems with your work, and now you're working on the most difficult puzzle of all. At 77, I'm making no headway on that solution myself.Best of luck with that. Take care!-Bob

Last edited:
I totally get it Ken. Because of health reason, both mentally and physically, I made the decision a few years ago to work only a few hours a day. And only when I feel like it. As you get older you realize that maybe committing your entire life to your work at the expensive of almost everything else may not be the best idea. At least once a week I am reminded how short life is. Make good use of your time and be grateful for every minute of it. You’ve been a great asset and contributor to the forum and the ukulele world and I get the feeling you’ll still be around in some capacity. We’ll miss your valuable insights and innovations .

Hey, Ken - if your son, Mike takes over, who will do the French Polishing for him? Has Janet earned her retirement, too?:unsure:

Hey, Ken - if your son, Mike takes over, who will do the French Polishing for him? Has Janet earned her retirement, too?:unsure:
you can say that again John :)
Mya-Moe ukuleles have 4 coats of tru-oil I believe and no complaints... he may go in that direction.

I have thoroughly enjoyed your contributions and great sense of humor. Whenever I see you have made a post I eagerly open it knowing there will be something good to read. May your future be as full and enjoyable as your past. Thank you for all you have done, my playing partner has one of your sopranos and loves it, so do I.

I feel genuinely privileged to own one of your soprano ukuleles. It's an instrument I hope will be enjoyed by others long after my time with it.

"When the work is done, and one's name is becoming distinguished, to withdraw into obscurity is the way of Heaven." - Chapter 9 of The Tao-te Ching by Lao-tzu, translated by James Legge 1891.

In the UK we have a company producing rattle can lacquer that is dead matt. This is so forgiving that you get a 'factory' perfect surface for this type of finish. I suspect their gloss lacquer will not match up to this - no plasticizers which means a vintage finish in 6 months. Rattle cans really work if you use a mechanical shaker to completely integrate the lacquer with the propellant. I abandoned the compressor and gun years ago and no one has been able to distinguish between my old gun finishes and can finishes. For small producers, it makes sense to rather invest in wood than machinery that gets used once or twice a month.

Speaking as a mere hobby builder - after trying a variety of brushed, wiped and rubbed finishes, I too have settled on using 'rattle cans'. I like the ordinary clear lacquer sold for automotive use. It is labelled 'Acrylic'.

The cans are quite expensive but have a very long shelf life. Some practice is required to get the best out of them. I never try for a deep, glossy finish. Just a few thin coats does the job.

Having said that, I confess that I do love a French Polish finish - so long as someone else applies it!

As a long time lurker on the forum and receiver of many insights from your posts over the years i pay my respects and gratitude to your career and contributions Ken. And I’m sure there are many more like me out there.
I think I only ever posted one question in the builders forum, and you were one of those who responded. (Only one because I always managed to find an answer through the search)
I hope you manage to keep building in some capacity, and especially to keep posting here.

Top Bottom