Kamaka Database/Unofficial Histroy Site?

Great idea thank you for making the site.

Great site. Here's a small history related contribution:
About 6 months ago I lucked upon a near mint soprano. After much searching on it's age, I finally contacted Kamaka.
After exchanging emails, I was requested to call and talk to their customer service. I unfortunately can't recall the lady's name, but she was quite helpful. It is a white label, had no other markings but did have black tuners which apparently were not that common. After a couple of photos and a brief conversation, it was determined to be most likely from around '74 or '75 but to quote her "If Sam found some black tuners laying around he'd use them" , so it could be as recent as 1976.

Attachments

• KamakaTuners.jpg
    KamakaTuners.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 5
  • KamakaLabel.jpg
    KamakaLabel.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Note/Question: I attempted to attach a picture of the black tuners and white label referenced in my previous reply from my UU album, but couldn't get it to work. I used the 'attach image' icon. Suggestions appreciated.

Note/Question: I attempted to attach a picture of the black tuners and white label referenced in my previous reply from my UU album, but couldn't get it to work. I used the 'attach image' icon. Suggestions appreciated.

After more than a year I *finally* figured out how to attach images the other day. The "attach image" icon doesn't work.

Click the Go Advanced button. Scroll down to Additional Options. Click the Manage Attachments button. A dialog box will pop up with a fairly-well-hidden (to me, anyway) button in the top left that says Add Files. Click that, click Select Files at the bottom, then select your pic from your computer. Click Upload Files. When you're done uploading, click the Insert Inline button at the bottom.

Is there a way to date early Kamaka ukuleles by the hand written production number?

Between 1916-1975 they used a date stamp inside. I haven't paid enough attention to the older Kamaka's I've played to say where it is.

Great site. Here's a small history related contribution:
About 6 months ago I lucked upon a near mint soprano. After much searching on it's age, I finally contacted Kamaka.
After exchanging emails, I was requested to call and talk to their customer service. I unfortunately can't recall the lady's name, but she was quite helpful. It is a white label, but had no other markings but had black tuners which apparently were not that common. After a couple of photos and a brief conversation, it was determined to be most likely around '74 or '75 but to quote her "If Sam found some black tuners laying around he'd use them" , so it could be as recent as 1976.

Thanks! And thanks for the photos. I'm adding photos of the labels. I've had a hard time getting, finding really clear photos of all the labels. I've got photos of the majority of them, would like to get clear ones like yours.

If anyone has older blue label, or even a teens/20's white label decal that can take a clear photo of them I'd appreciate it! As would many others!!!

I hope everyone is enjoying the site so far. I've added a page that is strictly for the Kamaka Pineapple Ukulele.

I'd like ideas from the Kamaka fans what they'd like to see. I've got a lot on my hard drive. But I want there to be purpose behind all of it, instead of just a bunch of photos. So let me know what you'd like to see.

I'm working on a page right now that will be dedicated to the Kamaka Soprano Ukulele right now. I'm hoping to have it up this week :)

But if anyone has any info that I could add to the site, if anyone has any corrections please let me know, I want the site to be as accurate as it can get.

I'd like to start a page next on the Concert, Tenor & Baritone ukes. Anyone have any history on them? When did they start being built by Kamaka? Earliest ones I've seen have been Gold Label models. If anyone has any good photos of their vintage Kamakas and would like to share them it'd be appreciated :)

Thanks again for all the links, and stories!

Aaron

Top Bottom