Gf? Instrument?

• New partner?

Votes: 40 76.9%
  • Another instrument?

Votes: 12 23.1%

• Total voters
PicPlease.gif

More info.

Time for both. Trade the girlfriend in for a new ukulele.

she doesn't mind the guitar, just hates the ukulele.

"play a real instrument"

crack it over someones head and see if it generates some real pain !
There are ukuleles that sound more like a guitar (Flukes) ... so you might want to try one of those. Maybe your uke needs more mellow strings, like Worth Browns. If there is too much "bark" to the ukulele, it can be annoying. So, it might not be all ukuleles that are the problem. An electric uke sounds more like a guitar too, so maybe you can find something that has lower tones (tenors, mango wood, koa, low G tuning, baritones) and stay away from sopranos with spruce or maple tone woods.
Playing style and song genre has a big effect too. Maybe she doesn't like the type of songs you are playing. You can play almost any style you like on the ukulele. Maybe fingerpicking style would impress her. There are easy classical arrangements for the ukulele too.
–Lori

There are ukuleles that sound more like a guitar (Flukes) ... so you might want to try one of those. Maybe your uke needs more mellow strings, like Worth Browns. If there is too much "bark" to the ukulele, it can be annoying. So, it might not be all ukuleles that are the problem. An electric uke sounds more like a guitar too, so maybe you can find something that has lower tones (tenors, mango wood, koa, low G tuning, baritones) and stay away from sopranos with spruce or maple tone woods.
Playing style and song genre has a big effect too. Maybe she doesn't like the type of songs you are playing. You can play almost any style you like on the ukulele. Maybe fingerpicking style would impress her. There are easy classical arrangements for the ukulele too.
–Lori

Aloha Matt,
Maybe Lori has a point there, maybe your ukes are too bright and crisp for her ears....and you may need a deeper richer sound....maybe a baritone...(close to guitar)eh!!!
STGC.....That's Save the Girlfriend Club...LOL... Good Luck Man!!!

LOL...this is a no brainer!! (new GF!!)

Is it really a "me or the Uke" scenario? I know the thread is for fun but is it that serious in real life? If so, that seems crazy. Is she embarassed by you and that you play an instrument she doesn't consider "real?" That is awfully condescending, not just to you, but to the entire ukulele community. Anyway, I would think a "real" girlfriend would be at least tolerant of your hobby if not supportive.

she really hates it, swears and everything lmfaoo. psycho. I like the idea of trading her in for a new uke, any takers?
I still play it, tbh, I don't care what she says, I just play it louder when she's still asleep.

Are you kidding? Tell her that you're buying ANOTHER uke and send her packing. You shouldn't have a hard time replacing her. Most women dig men who play the uke.:)

New instrument will cheer you up when you break up with her? just kidding haha!

she really hates it, swears and everything lmfaoo. psycho. I like the idea of trading her in for a new uke, any takers?
I still play it, tbh, I don't care what she says, I just play it louder when she's still asleep.

Sounds like you've already decided. Here's a solution:
1. Get an EleUke
2. Get a very large amp
3. Plug #1 into #2
4. Turn the amp up to 11 and rock out until she leaves

If she can't accept you with your Uke... She won't ever accept you...

Try to find a link somewhere that says Brad Pitt or Johnny Depp plays the uke. She'll be all over it like a rash, telling all her friends how cool you are. If she still doesn't bite...gone.

Hahaha... if she hates it that much... how bad is your playing?!?
Just joking, my gf hates how much time I spend trolling around looking for deals or just reading about the instrument itself, but she enjoys when I actually play it so I guess i'm one of the lucky ones :)
Hang in there buddy, give it some time, i'm sure she'll warm to the sweet sweet tones.

I like the idea of trading her in for a new uke, any takers?

Well Kanile'a took your problem uke back, why don't send her to Kanile'a and see if you can get one that doesn't buzz everytime you play.

John

The issue is communication, not your playing of the ukulele. Itsme hit the nail on the head about her and her husband's diverse interests. My wife and will celebrate our 36th anniversary next month. Here's our situation and how we've stuck together:

We are political opposites:

We discuss all issues and candidates and compromize, or agree to disagree.
We respect each other's opinions and move forward.

We enjoy different styles of music:

We talk to each other about things like volume, hours and times of playing our styles
(me on my instruments and her on the stereo. I make most of the compromize here,
as she's been a wonderful soulmate and mother to aur babies).

Time management:

I use a day planner. I have always penned in my work and pencilled in my hobbies.
My wife and daughters can always pencil in their desires into my planner and they
could always feel free to request I scratch both penned in work and penciled in
hobbies, to consider other commitments. Sometimes I've agreed and others I've not.
There's mutual respect, set by the willingness to compromise.

Organization:

I'm by nature unorganized and my wife's extremely organized. I started using a day
planner many years ago as a compromize and solution to my own deficiencies. It's
a time proven winner in our relationship.

Family:

All three of my daughters and all of my grandaughters are musicians. They have each
chosen their own instruments and my wife loves that bond between myself and the girls
(all married, now). We gained our first grandson in January of this year and you can
bank on the fact that grandpa (me!) will make sure that he achieves his musical wants
and goals.

Here are some photos of my 4 year old grandaughter, when she was just a little over 1 year old:

23320music17.jpg

23320music16.jpg

23320music11.jpg

23320music12.jpg

By the way. My baby daughter's husband is a Navy Hospitalman Corpsman. He was serving with a Marine unit in Afghanistan when those photos were taken.

The bottom line, you and your GF need to communicate what is really tweeking her. Ric

if she loves you more than she hates the ukulele, she'll learn to live with it.

Top Bottom