Ukuleles and Price vs Quality

I agree with others: a solid wood top will generally sound clearer and louder (Kiwayas always being the exception with their very excellent Eco-series thin laminates). Under $500, you can get fantastic quality or so-so quality. The same goes for under $300. There do exist solid-spruce topped ukuleles in the lower price range, but I haven't had the pleasure to try any myself.

TUS says their best selling ukulele is the Kala KA-STG solid-spruce-top for $219. It's not real fancy looking, but the sound is noticeably better than Kala's all-laminate models without being too much more expensive. https://theukulelesite.com/kala-ka-stg-solid-spruce-top-tenor-gloss.html

Anuenue used to make solid-spruce-top ukuleles for under $200 that got great reviews, but they don't seem to be available any more. Don't know if they are discontinued or just out-of-stock. https://www.gotaukulele.com/2022/10/anuenue-ut10-uct10-color-series-tenor.html

Also check out Got a Ukulele. Baz is primarily a guitar player, but he does the most honest and impartial uke reviews I’ve found — as he reminds his viewers, he isn’t compensated by the uke makers but instead funded by subscribers.

The benefits of spruce to enhance higher frequencies are probably most beneficial for baritone ukes and guitars, whereas the smaller sizes are usually quite snappy with hardwood tops already. In terms of quality it depends on what you mean specifically, and I assume that you refer to quality control process to make sure that individual ukes all adhere to given standard with minimal deviation. The higher end uke brands tend to accomplish this by being small family operated companies where each unit receives individual attention. For mass produced Asian instruments there will be less control for cheaper ukes and therefore bigger chance to get poor quality. Eastman is now one of the largest guitar producers worldwide, and they have a separate large quality control department in the US, so that improves chance to get a decent guitar. However I am not sure if they have a separate uke factory that specializes in ukes, or if they just build them like small guitars which usually does not have great results.

It seems you don't start getting spruce topped ukuleles until you hit a certain price.

Price vs. quality is always a great discussion, because as new ukes get released, the answer keeps changing.

But I'm a spruce guy too, and the fact is that you can get some killer spruce instruments for a song these days. For example, check out this gorgeous model that our own @bazmaz reviewed just this past Sunday, a spruce-maple tenor from Clearwater for roughly $100 that sounds terrific -- an absolutely jaw-dropping value for money, looking and sounding better than ukes costing hundreds more!. No kidding. Check it out!

Now, here's where it gets even more interesting to me. Like you, @GeoffHW, I love that spruce sound -- big, bright, and chimey! My own choice was from the Pono Master Series (now replaced by the 'Oli series at The Ukulele Site) cost roughly 10x what that Clearwater does (I paid $1200 a couple of years ago), and guess what @bazmaz said about that one? That it's an astonishing value for money, looking and sounding better than ukes costing hundreds more!

Once again, we have a video from Baz. In this case, he happens to have reviewed one made of cedar -- but you'll definitely get the idea. It's still worth listening to this one, since it's recorded with the same gear with which he recorded the Clearwater review, so you'll definitely get the idea.

I bought my first two ukes based on his recommendations, and although I entirely agree in this case too (if anything, he understated the point), I happened to have bought mine before Baz was able to review his. :) So here's my assessment, and here, which includes some video from The Ukulele Site with the SPRUCE top rather than Baz's cedar (my spruce top has mahogany back and sides). I think this sounds and plays better than ukes costing up to 3-4x what this one did, based on me sitting there in the shop and playing ukes that cost 3-4x side by side with mine. No kidding, not even a little.

Most epic of all, our own @scrambled_eggs got a spruce-rosewood Pono Master Series tenor, and liked it so much that she also got a new spruce-ebony baritone 'Oli (again, the model that replaces the PMS). Unlike my posts, hers include her own stellar playing. :)

These really are two of my all-time favorite threads here.

So here's the question you need to answer for yourself: do you want a $100 uke that looks, sounds, and plays like a $200+ uke (in a way that will make you forever re-think ukulele pricing at this end of the market), or a $1200 uke that looks, sounds, and plays like a $2500-4000 uke? Nobody else can answer that for you. Either will give you a BIG bang for your buck, and I think either will make you happy within the given parameters.

Certainly if you're asking, can ya get a dandy solid spruce top instrument that looks and sounds better than it has a right to for $100 or so, then I can answer a resounding yes! But it may not be the entirety of the answer you're looking for. :)

Have you tried different strings on your Eastman? If it doesn't have them already, you could put fluorocarbons on, like Martin fluorocarbon ukulele strings. That change could punch up the volume level. You could also try replacing the high-G string with a low-G string, with the disclaimer that this will make for a more guitar-like sound. I believe Eastman ukuleles are generally regarded as good/decent ukuleles here on this forum, but not as widely known as some other brands only due to accessibility. You are also right about spruce being a brighter-sounding tonewood.

I agree with others: a solid wood top will generally sound clearer and louder (Kiwayas always being the exception with their very excellent Eco-series thin laminates). Under $500, you can get fantastic quality or so-so quality. The same goes for under $300. There do exist solid-spruce topped ukuleles in the lower price range, but I haven't had the pleasure to try any myself.

If you would like specific recommendations, folks here will happily supply you with MANY. Just let us know your maximum budget, styles of playing (fingerpicking, fingerstyle, strumming, etc) and/or styles of music that you might be interested in making (tin pan alley, hawaiian, pop/rock, folk, classical, all of the above, etc), and maybe size (a solid topped tenor will likely be louder than its respective concert-sized cousin). This is a helpful forum :)
i have. I actually put soprano strings on it. I was originally set to buy a vintage 60's kamaka but the seller sold it to a local before I could make it to them. It was a soprano so I already had the strings ready. I actually wonder if that is why I am not getting the sound I want. They are daddario nylgut if that says anything to anyone. I actually have taken my ukulele out for the first time since a week after buying it. Sounds great. I just wish it were a bit louder I guess.

i have. I actually put soprano strings on it. I was originally set to buy a vintage 60's kamaka but the seller sold it to a local before I could make it to them. It was a soprano so I already had the strings ready. I actually wonder if that is why I am not getting the sound I want. They are daddario nylgut if that says anything to anyone. I actually have taken my ukulele out for the first time since a week after buying it. Sounds great. I just wish it were a bit louder I guess.
Soprano strings on a tenor ukulele will have somewhat lower tension than tenor strings, which should result in lower volume (depending on how you play). If you want to get the most volume from your ukulele and you already have some finger strength from playing other string instruments, try some high tension ukulele strings. For example, Worth has their regular tenor strings (model CT) and also heavy tenor strings (model CH) that are a little thicker and higher tension for more volume and dynamics.

That could definitely make your uke quieter. DAddario's tenor strings are larger diameter than their soprano strings, which would give them higher tension and drive the soundboard more. I think you should try tenor strings before drawing any conclusions about it.

Edit: Oops, I see your uke is a concert rather than tenor, but the advice still applies although with less effect.

Last edited:
Agree to go with higher tension strings and fluorocarbon.

Ones I use are:

HANNABACH 232MT Medium tension concert

Also, Uke Logic makes a "hard tension" fluorocarbon string. You can contact Joel at TUS or maybe his Etsy shop.

Last edited:
I think the ones I have with thin wood, and are overall light to heft, are the best sounding. It is hard buying these gadgets online!

Hi everyone,

Just curious what everyone's take on pricing on ukuleles is. What I mean is at what price do ukuleles get noticeably better, easier to play, more resonant, louder, etc.?

Got myself an Eastman concert and it's not as loud as I'd like. I'm thinking it is mostly to do with it being all solid mahogany instead of spruce topped. It's my understanding from playing guitar than spruce is a great wood for really amplifying sound where mahogany is more condensed and gives finger picking more thump and boxiness that my sometimes be desired.

Is this true for ukulele as well? It seems you don't start getting spruce topped ukuleles until you hit a certain price.
Volume? That's what amps are for!

That is some key information right there. You’ll find a lot of string discussion here in the posts. Try different tenor strings and you very well may find some that do it for you. And at some point you may decide to upgrade - and that’ll be fun too. 🤙

Just touching on the strings subject, for the 3 common ukulele sizes (Soprano, Concert and Tenor) tuned GCEA...... Concert ukulele strings work on all 3 with a "Goldilocks" tension and playability.

Especially on Tenors.
I find "Tenor strings" on tenors to be uncomfortable high tension for my liking.
Concert strings on Tenors makes them feel like they 'should', at least by my standards.

I bought a used concert KoAloha Opio all solid with a spruce top and acacia back and sides from the marketplace here and I love it, It is well made, sounds great and has excellent volume. If your budget stretches to $450 you might want to look at the used concert posted in the Marketplace.
Thread 'KoAloha KCO-10S Concert'
https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/threads/koaloha-kco-10s-concert.163582/

Here is the “Got a Ukulele” review of it. Since that review they stopped putting “Opio” on the faceplate and now it just says KoAloha.

I found that I like buying used from the forum for nicer ukes because if I decide to sell them later, they don’t usually lose much value. That does not work well for inexpensive ukes because the cost of shipping is really significant compared to the price for those.

Good luck!

The best way to compare ukes will always be side by side (just like wine/beer and many other things). Most people know what they like if they have the opportunity to play, hear and compare side by side. To make sure you get it right just fly out to Hawaii and play a bunch! Obviously I jest, but I will say, I bought and sold a LOT of ukes learning what I liked, because I didn't have a place to try ukes first. But even when I did have the opportunity to play the Big K's side by side, I don't think I would appreciate their sound if not for playing many other ukes previously.

If you read lots of reviews here you will learn that for quality AND volume, KoAloha and Pops later Ukesa brand get rave reviews. But there are many other great ukes reviewed. The hunt is part of the journey, but you have lots of expertise here to assist you!

I'll second @SkeeterAB's recommendation to buy used, yes from the UU marketplace is great, but used in general is a great way to go. Your dollar goes so much further. Just make sure you have some sort of ability to verify the condition of the instrument, either in person or via postal return.

Or make sure you are paying so little that it doesn't matter: I've bought some ukes at auction that were so cheap that even if they'd been less than perfect it wouldn't have bothered me. That $500 tenor I got for $137? Such a great deal!

Funny story: Yeah, so our kittens knocked that tenor off its stand when I left the room FOR LIKE ONE FREAKIN MINUTE, and as far as we can tell, the uke must have flown up into the air, and landed back on the stand. And now it has a couple of little dents in the top, so it is worth approximately . . . $137. I guess balance was restored in the universe.

I’m with @kissing in the K price as a standard for a good consistent ukulele.

The one twist is finding a local builder. Many times a small local builder can provide a quality solid wood instrument for less, or at the least the same price with added options.

John

Got myself an Eastman concert and it's not as loud as I'd like. I'm thinking it is mostly to do with it being all solid mahogany instead of spruce topped. It's my understanding from playing guitar than spruce is a great wood for really amplifying sound where mahogany is more condensed and gives finger picking more thump and boxiness that my sometimes be desired.

Just revisiting the thread to address a couple of points.

In one of your responses you mention the Uke (Concert scale) being fitted with Soprano specific strings, they’ll work but the Concert specific strings will drive your soundboard harder and so make the Uke louder. String selection is a very personal choice but as they should be changed I suggest that you try Martin M600 strings. That set: suits both Concert and Soprano scales; is widely available; is inexpensive; and works well.

New solid wood Ukes … well option is divided. As far as I’m concerned new solid wood ukes ‘open up’ over time, they get louder and better sounding. Maybe bare that in mind. As Merlin666 mentioned up thread spruce tops on the smaller sizes of Uke aren’t necessarily an advantage, personally I’d prefer to stay with mahogany (which is tried, tested and well liked) on the smaller sizes.

Merlin666: “The benefits of spruce to enhance higher frequencies are probably most beneficial for baritone ukes and guitars, whereas the smaller sizes are usually quite snappy with hardwood tops already.”

Last edited:
Just revisiting the thread to address a couple of points.

In one of your responses you mention the Uke (Concert scale) being fitted with Soprano specific strings, they’ll work but the Concert specific strings will drive your soundboard harder and so make the Uke louder. String selection is a very personal choice but as they should be changed I suggest that you try Martin M600 strings. That set: suits both Concert and Soprano scales; is widely available; is inexpensive; and works well.

New solid wood Ukes … well option is divided. As far as I’m concerned new solid wood ukes ‘open up’ over time, they get louder and better sounding. Maybe bare that in mind. As Merlin666 mentioned up thread spruce tops on the smaller sizes of Uke aren’t necessarily an advantage, personally I’d prefer to stay with mahogany (which is tried, tested and well liked) on the smaller sizes.

Merlin666: “The benefits of spruce to enhance higher frequencies are probably most beneficial for baritone ukes and guitars, whereas the smaller sizes are usually quite snappy with hardwood tops already.”
I should have added the uke released in the early 2000s. Maybe 2005ish so I'd expect it to be opened up quite a bit. That said, I'm not sure how much it was played.

Just touching on the strings subject, for the 3 common ukulele sizes (Soprano, Concert and Tenor) tuned GCEA...... Concert ukulele strings work on all 3 with a "Goldilocks" tension and playability.

Especially on Tenors.
I find "Tenor strings" on tenors to be uncomfortable high tension for my liking.
Concert strings on Tenors makes them feel like they 'should', at least by my standards.
So you mean I can use tenor strings on a concert as well?

My only concern is destroying the top or having the neck bow more than I'd like/is recommended.

Is it really true you can use tenor strings on a concert body? I'd love to try that out. I play guitar so my fingers are well conditioned. Playing for hours doesn't cause any pain and I actually find I accidentally bend my soprano strings often because they're so soft and easy to manipulate.

Top Bottom