will/does artificial intelligence threaten or enhance human creative arts such as music, film, etc.?

Eggs_n_Ham

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I just heard an AI fully generated ("written" "sung" all instrumentation) "John Lennon" song played on the radio. Entering into a completely new epoch ladies and gentlemen... "oh brave new world, that has such people in it!"

We all know from the movies, that all AI advances bring them closer to the day that Skynet finally launches an all out attack on humanity.

post the video please, or a link...or something

It bears repeating: machines creating the art and music while exhausted humans do the soul-crushing menial tasks is NOT the glorious future I imagined.

Well, since all the AIs are doing is scraping existing information and reconfiguring it, there's a whole 'nother can 'o worms regarding intellectual property rights, too (which we've had discussions about with respect to creativity and "there's nothing new under the sun"). It's not creativity, it's collating based on algorithms.

My instant reaction is that it threatens the arts as we know them. It will create ultimate art, combining the skills and creativity of all the masters in all genres, all mediums. I don't see how it can't go there barring an apocalypse. If we ignore it we risk falling behind or being in danger. We are in the infancy of something huge. How will we appreciate creativity in the future where we don't know what was poured out of a human soul and what was AI?

after watching and listening, I am not worried for humanity at this time. That didn't sound at all like any song John Lennon would have written. It doesn't follow his style. And the lyrics were crap. But thanks for posting it. I couldn't find it.
The voice wasn't quite right either.
But AI will eventually do better at this.
I suspect that it will kill creativity in humans, which is too bad. Creating music, (or art or literature or...), is very difficult and it will be easier to have AI do the work. And those profiting off of the arts will be happy to not have to pay humans, sadly.

That my toaster does a better job toasting bread than I can doesn’t prevent me from enjoying its output every morning.
When the day comes that I have to enjoy the toast every morning whether I want to or not, I will join John Conner’s resistance group.

AI can be no smarter than it's programmers. It just takes all those bits and puts them together in new combinations. Some things don't mix.. Think bleach and ammonia..... Pavarotti and hip-hop ......

There are so many climate change events I doubt we'll have long to worry about AI. Just my doomsday opinion. I hope I'm not breaking any rules by saying that...
Climate change. I don't think we caused it, and we can't fix it. Between that, the world economy, and all the military saber rattling, I wonder how long we have. Things can change very quickly for the worse.

I think the answer to your question is ”yes.” Artificial Intelligence will both threaten and enhance the creative arts. Ultimately, AI will be responsible for many worthwhile artistic endeavors. While destroying a great many more along the way. It’s going to be an interesting ride.

We should remember that AI is just a tool wielded by humans to create a desired outcome. Like any other tool that outcome is dependent upon the human wielding it.
Yes, it is a little more powerful than a paintbrush or camera but it’s still just a tool.
We don’t compare the resolution of a photo to a painting or the sound of an opu to ukulele do we?

Last edited:
Meh.
You could make an argument that "Pop" music has been A.I. for decades already.
Studio manipulation of Pop records has been a thing since the Beatles days, and digital manipulation + backing/sampled tracks, has been de-rigueur for a couple of decades already.
Any new A.I. advancement has been a simple act of further consolidation.

At the moment, all AI does is present humans with stuff to look at or hear. What we as humans need to be ready for is when AI realizes that there is more to life than creating stuff for human consumption.
What happens to the former masters when the slaves throw off their chains? Graham Nash's song may be on point;

That my toaster does a better job toasting bread than I can doesn’t prevent me from enjoying its output every morning.
When the day comes that I have to enjoy the toast every morning whether I want to or not, I will join John Conner’s resistance group.
Sad to say, we already have to enjoy the toast every morning whether we want to or not. The toast is the "cell phone," and even the homeless are expected to have one. We might be able to get by for awhile without a cell phone by using the internet on your computer, but slowly but surely the cell phone is becoming a necessity. Soon it will replace currency and the credit card. Can we avoid all that by living simply and buying what we need locally? Amazon is busy destroying our town and every other town. How can a local shoe store, music store, dress shop, hardware store, camera store, compete with a store that has everything at discount prices (for the time being) and will deliver to your door? Those vacant stores in town are just the beginning.

Now for little quiz.
True or false?
Someone will write it to say that everything is fine and the future is bright.

I think the answer to your question is ”yes.” Artificial Intelligence will both threaten and enhance the creative arts. Ultimately, AI will be responsible for many worthwhile artistic endeavors. While destroying a great many more along the way. It’s going to be an interesting ride.

In Orwell's (I imagine lots of eyes rolling) 1984, he writes of the "prole woman" standing outside his window singing along with a song about love. The song about love however is written by the "versificator", a machine that knows naught about love other than what it has been programmed (not Orwell's word but mine) with.

While some people may be fine with the idea of artificial intelligence manipulating human emotion, I'm not so sure that humanity can remain human without human creativity, emotion and interaction. What would be the point of a ukulele forum without those things?

Top Bottom