8 string UAS

AZChris

Reaction score
Been here only a few months on UU, arrived with a couple cheap ukes and now so far have a Pono MT-PC and KoAloha KCM-00. It hit me a few weeks ago that I really wanted an 8 string. So, I ordered an Ohana BK-70-8 from ULTP. I called once more to add on a hardshell case. With the setup it's about $600.

Sigh. A couple of days ago a Mele 8 string tenor, (mahogany, double hole) came up locally for $500. I fought it but eventually texted and asked if he'd take $400. A quick yes was the reply. (I should have said $350) :) If I get it, I think I will hang on to both for a bit but if I had known this would come up, I'd have bought a different uke from ULTP. Oh...or maybe I really need 8 strings in both baritone and tenor.

The Mele should be way better -- true? Also, is $400 as good of a deal as I am thinking it is? Thanks for advice.

I also would like to try the 8-stringed variety! Aklot have a nice one that caught my eye...

And now I've found me one on ebay...Damn, I'm supposed to be saving!

I WOULD like to try regular ol GCEA tuning though, and this uke looks cute.

And now I've found me one on ebay...Damn, I'm supposed to be saving!

I WOULD like to try regular ol GCEA tuning though, and this uke looks cute.
I was thinking the same thing tuning wise. I prefer GCEA. I've avoided baritones up to this point -- D G B E feels like I am playing a guitar but...an 8 string baritone might have a different feel. I hope.

I was thinking the same thing tuning wise. I prefer GCEA. I've avoided baritones up to this point -- D G B E feels like I am playing a guitar but...an 8 string baritone might have a different feel. I hope.
I've always played on my own rare tuning that I came across by accident. My first ukulele arrived in the post a little over a year ago, and I never thought to tune it. I only found this out a year later when someone pointed out that my uke was out of tune, and when I tuned it up to normal, all my repertoire was utterly unplayable. It turns out my uke was actually tuned to D4-Bb3-C4-F4.

I enjoy the dark microtonal music of the 'Voran tuning' as people call it, but I would also like to try regular GCEA. There are folk songs I'd like to learn on it, plus the zingy sound is pretty.

Been here only a few months on UU, arrived with a couple cheap ukes and now so far have a Pono MT-PC and KoAloha KCM-00. It hit me a few weeks ago that I really wanted an 8 string. So, I ordered an Ohana BK-70-8 from ULTP. I called once more to add on a hardshell case. With the setup it's about $600.

Sigh. A couple of days ago a Mele 8 string tenor, (mahogany, double hole) came up locally for $500. I fought it but eventually texted and asked if he'd take $400. A quick yes was the reply. (I should have said $350) :) If I get it, I think I will hang on to both for a bit but if I had known this would come up, I'd have bought a different uke from ULTP. Oh...or maybe I really need 8 strings in both baritone and tenor.

The Mele should be way better -- true? Also, is $400 as good of a deal as I am thinking it is? Thanks for advice.
As I’ve learned, joining UU can be an expensive proposition.

Agreed. LOL. I never had UAS before I joined here and realized there were tons of different types of specialized ukulele...then I just HAD to have a sopranissimo, a baritone, a 5-stringer, and I also have my eye on a Snail tenor, a Hadean ukubass and a Luna concert...

I don't regret spending on all those though. It's been an interesting musical journey. Those ukes all have their own repertoire.

Last edited:
Ugh, they won't ship to Ireland. Oh well. Probably should just save money!

Agreed. LOL. I never had UAS before I joined here and realized there were tons of different types of specialized ukulele...then I just HAD to have a sopranissimo, a baritone, a 5-stringer, and I also have my eye on a Snail tenor, a Hadean ukubass and a Luna concert...

I don't regret spending on all those though. It's been an interesting musical journey. Those ukes all have their own repertoire.
I don’t regret any of my purchases either, but there’s a little matter of the Visa bill.

I don’t regret any of my purchases either, but there’s a little matter of the Visa bill.
Samesies! I'm not getting more ukes for the near future, even though I do enjoy looking at them online. I'm saving up to buy a small area of land...planning on cob building my own little simple house, or perhaps straw bale it together, I have not made my mind up yet.

Any 8-string aficionados in the market for a taropatch? I bought this model from Mim a year or so ago, when I thought I had to own every kind of uke there is. It was one of those "one day I'll play it" purchases, but I know better now. It's lovely, but I'm sticking with 4 strings.

I have a hardshell case for it. I'll figure out a price if there's any interest.

Any 8-string aficionados in the market for a taropatch? I bought this model from Mim a year or so ago, when I thought I had to own every kind of uke there is. It was one of those "one day I'll play it" purchases, but I know better now. It's lovely, but I'm sticking with 4 strings.

I have a hardshell case for it. I'll figure out a price if there's any interest.
I was looking for one of these before pandemic but unfortunately am all uked out now. Are all strings in unison or some octaves?

I was looking for one of these before pandemic but unfortunately am all uked out now. Are all strings in unison or some octaves?
G and C are octaves, E and A are unison. I'm all uked out, too. But it's so fun to keep looking!

My UAS is more or less slain. I mean, I guess I do want a Flight Pathfinder super bad. Other than that I became miraculously content. I'm afraid if I spend too long wondering why, I'll decide that whatever the reason is, its a foolish one and I should probably get more ukuleles haha.

At the beginning of this year, I had 8. Im down to just 4 now after gifting 2 and passing 2 others to my kids. I gifted a kala tri top tenor to a friend who had a fender tenor with a bridge coming off. I gifted my soprano to a friend who doesnt play, but whose father recently passed and he was looking for a creative outlet.

Id like to get down to just 3 tenors, including the 2 I already have and my future pathfinder.

I couldnt care less for my baritone and will probably gift it. I bought it for $50 on amazon to see if I'd be into it. I am, but I mostly stays in the case. My other uke is my first uke, a concert my parents bought for me 10 years ago, so I dont feel right giving it away. I will gift it to someone in my life for sure tho.

Maybe UGS can be a thing. Ukulele Gifting Syndrome.

Who wants to start?

I'm looking for a Pathfinder lol.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies everybody. I got the Mele 8 string and I am happy.
Just as good is that I called Uke Like the Pros and they had not started setting up my Ohana 8 string yet and let me change my order. I'm getting a super tenor instead. (Kala KA-AMHG-ST)
This is my first experience with ULTP and they were very accommodating. Win-win.

I think I'm done for awhile. (I bet that's never been said before...right?)
IMG_1119.jpg

I might go for this if the guy selling the Aklot ones doesn't get back to me. What kind of price were you thinking of?

Yeah, I caved. UAS 1, savings 0.

I sense that already. As a guitar player I understand the wanting a variety of ukes. Now I find myself thinking "which guitars do I rarely play?" Gotta make room.

I might go for this if the guy selling the Aklot ones doesn't get back to me. What kind of price were you thinking of?

Yeah, I caved. UAS 1, savings 0.
Right on taropatch rocks, but you may want to get rid of the octave strings and put double regular strings on to get that unique sound. I think Worth are double length so with those you only need one set.

Right on taropatch rocks, but you may want to get rid of the octave strings and put double regular strings on to get that unique sound. I think Worth are double length so with those you only need one set.
I want the octave strings though. Some extra zing would be nice.

My MP 8-string has a pretty traditional gG cC EE AA (High-g Low-G; High-c Low-C, Standard unison EE AA).
Has a beautiful, almost mandolin sound to it.

I can't pick it though.

Top Bottom