Calling All Vintage Lovers/Owners

pdxuke

Reaction score
Aloha Pdxke,
It looks like it's in nice condition,but I'mnot intrested with the plastic fretboard...however I like antique ukes...Happy Strummings and Happy Holidays to you...MM Stan...

Aloha:

I have one of these without the plastic fretboard. It has brass frets inserted directly in the neck. It has a distinctive, vintage sound, midrangey and a somewhat booming open C. They are solid mahogany instruments, made by Harmony. I've played a few of these with raised plastic fretboards. These are easier to play (because there is a little more string height for the right hand) but I have resisted buying one because I'm not sure about doing any fretwork on plastic. Haemony also made a ton of these in birch. I prefer the mahogany. Overall, they are pretty nice ukes for the money, if you are looking for a vintage sound.

I've played them, but never bought. Like the previous poster said, the ones I played all had that distinctive vintage plunk sound to them. Was never thrilled with the sound of strumming, but it's a cute sound for finger picking (IMHO). They're a good cheap way of getting a nice old wood sound.

And plastic fret boards don't do it for me.

I have two Roy Smeck Harmony ukes. With the plastic fretboard they have great intonation, Not really loud but I havent tried Aquila's on one yet. Sometimes you can find them cheap but the prices on them seem to be going up. Nice collectible ukes.

I haven't had a chance to try the Roy Smeck mahogany's, but I have one if the old Harmony poplar ukes from the 50's that was given to me by a neighbor. I originally tried tuning it in "C" and wasn't impressed, but when I took it up to "D" it really sounds and plays quite nicely, it's my favorite for playing the old vaudville type tunes. Mine has the plastic fretboard and I have Aquila's on it.

Top Bottom