Collings Ukuele

Oh, I think I need to trademark this. RichM's Hierarchy of Ukulele Retention & Dispersion (tm).

Make it a sticky however I have to disagree with #4. Sometimes it's not gentle suggestion but a smack in the head :wallbash:

Last edited:
It looks like the consensus is that Collings ukuleles do live up to the hype. A UT-1 will be arriving at local dealer in May. I put a down payment on it, and if it lives up to expectations, I will put my Loprinzi Tenor up for sale to make room for it. This is tough because I really like the Loprinzi,. So, it will have to be a major step up. If anyone interested in a Loprinzi Tenor, it may go up for sale, soon.

I've enjoyed reading all the replies. As to the PegHead Tuners, never had experience with them.

I think you'll be happy with your choice. I really like mine, All 3 of them and the pegheads work perfectly on them very easy to tune and I think the pegheads look good on them.
It looks like the consensus is that Collings ukuleles do live up to the hype. A UT-1 will be arriving at local dealer in May. I put a down payment on it, and if it lives up to expectations, I will put my Loprinzi Tenor up for sale to make room for it. This is tough because I really like the Loprinzi,. So, it will have to be a major step up. If anyone interested in a Loprinzi Tenor, it may go up for sale, soon.

I've enjoyed reading all the replies. As to the PegHead Tuners, never had experience with them.

I have to agree. I didn't realize some people don't like the pegheads. I think they are the cat's pyjamas!

I never had an issue with the pegheds, but I have the Gotoh planetary tuners on my new Ono baritone (this one), and they totally blow away the pegheds. I know both are 4:1, but the Gotoh's feel smoother and more precise. They do add some weight over the pegheds, but not much compared to other options, and I think they look great too.

Last edited:
Great thread. Interesting to read about different takes on what constitutes a "great" uke and a few takes on why great ukes get sold.

I've been lucky to play a few Collings ukes at local shops (attention Portland uke lovers---Portland Music Company has a mahogany tenor on display if you'd like to give it a strum) and every one has sounded terrific. A very different sound and feel from nice, koa Hawaiian ukuleles---not sure how to describe it---very different. I don't know if I'd recommend Collings ukes to everyone, but I'd definitely recommend that everyone play one at some point in order to hear that unique, lovely sound.

I've been lucky to play a few Collings ukes at local shops (attention Portland uke lovers---Portland Music Company has a mahogany tenor on display if you'd like to give it a strum) and every one has sounded terrific.

Which location? Sounds like a good activity for a rainy weekend.

OK, I guess it's time that I chimed in. I have owned five different Collings ukuleles and currently have one. Like most ukes, either high end or high production, they can vary greatly sound wise, but not with build quality. They have IMO, the best build quality of any limited production ukulele on the market.

They do take some time to open up and reach their full potential, and it can be hard to ultimately predict just how well each one will sound.

I do like the pegheads on them and don't find them "cheap feeling" in any way. Collings ukuleles have fantastic balance and the pegheads are a big part of it. However, I am looking forward to trying out the new planetary Gotohs on a future uke, and am glad they are getting glowing reviews so far.

It's funny you say that: I had the exact opposite experience with a KoAloha and Collings tenor. The KoAloha was a very good instrument, but when I got the Collings, it was a jaw dropping experience. So easy to play, it was like I was cheating. Tone was incredible, sustain for days, and without the head-heaviness that the KoAloha had. All just my opinions of course, and your mileage has obviously varied. Difference in taste just means that there are great second hand ukes available for everyone!

Maybe I should have tried a Collings Tenor. The KoAloha Tenor is a bit top-heavy. My KoAloha Concert seems warmer than most.

I bought that UT-1, and am very happy with it. First tenor I played that I really enjoyed playing. I recently put Living Waters on it, and am very happy with the tone. Playability and intonation is first-rate, IMO. If there is a better tenor than a Collings out there, it would have to be a custom.

I too think it is coincidence. I had a Collings UT-1 and it was the best made production uke I've tried. The sound wasn't for me as it is too lightly built so it has that hollow sound in my opinion and I am not into drop tuning it to give it warmth. I sold it to someone in my uke group and when I hear him play it, it sounds really good and there is another player that has it as well. Maybe I needed a soundport. HAHAHA However, I was curious with Specialk13's cuz it had a spruce top but that thing sold quickly.

BTW, they have a new Collings UT-1 at McCabes in Santa Monica if someone is looking for one.

I'm blessed with an outstanding custom koa abalone encrusted Collings. It is exquisite. Perfect fit and finish. It has a sweet and delicate sound to it. All my tenors have a uniqueness to them. On instruments I apply the house on fire and desert island tests. If my house was on fire and I could only retrieve one uke it would be the Collings (I might need to sell it to buy food!). If I was going to be stranded on a desert island and I could only take one uke I would take the Pono. It's mellow sound appeals to me most of all. The plain Jane Kamaka is loud. It's construction is plain and almost primitive but it is a fine uke. If I am playing all acoustic and need to compete with other instruments. The Kamaka is the one. The Honu has fit and finish every bit as fine as the Collings. It does not have a very loud voice. it looks great and is fine if I want to plug in. The Kolohe is a sturdily built uke that sounds and plays nice. I would take it on a picnic.
One replier had it pegged. Buying more expensive instruments is a case of diminishing returns. For each additional $100 or $1,000 you spend you get less and less. It may be worth it to you or you might just be wasting your money. Only you can decide that. Need I talk about the baritones? I love the Favillas. Nice feel and sound. I had a Martin baritone, and as much as I like Martins, I like the Favillas much more. The Gibson is a nice sounding and playing baritone. Once again, I prefer it over the Martin.

I have two Collings tenors. A sunburst UT2 that I put Gotoh planetary tuners on and a UT2K. Pegheds are nice. Gotohs are nicer, albeit heavier - but not as heavy as internal or external regular geared tuners. The UT2 (mahogany) is brighter, the Koa uke is warmer, darker. Both great instruments and worth every penny relative to others in their price ranges. I got the UT2 used. That helps.

Duk

I have a UC3K and as of early this year there were only 22 ever made. If the production numbers are right, that's only about 5-6 per year they said (first came out in 2009). Thus in 20 years, there would only be 100 that were made if they continue to make that model at that pace. Seems the UC3K is very rare for what they produce but the sound is incredible on mine. Light as a feather and it will never be sold until I die and my daughter or wife put it on Ebay! ;-)

I had two Collings tenors UT 1 s. they were superb. Lightweight and well built, with a sound like a songbird. They are as good as most custom ukuleles.

Why they use cheap feeling and looking Peghed plastic tuners on such fine, high end instruments, I can't fathom. With Gotoh Planetaries and high end Gotoh Deluxe frictions functioning so well, and looking like a gazillion bucks at $60 a set, I think this might change.

Notice I said "had"... I sold them both. Why...I can't quite grasp. Honestly, I don't know why. It just felt like the thing to do.

I had two Collings tenors UT 1 s. they were superb. Lightweight and well built, with a sound like a songbird. They are much better than most custom ukuleles

[...]

Notice I said "had"... I sold them both. Why...I can't quite grasp. Honestly, I don't know why. It just felt like the thing to do.

there, fixed it for you Steve :p

I bought that UT-1, and am very happy with it. First tenor I played that I really enjoyed playing. I recently put Living Waters on it, and am very happy with the tone. Playability and intonation is first-rate, IMO. If there is a better tenor than a Collings out there, it would have to be a custom.

The last two tenors I've played at McCabes have gone to UU members. Cool

I finally got my chance to play a Collings UT-2. I'm glad I didn't put money down first. First of all, the build and craftsmanship, as expected, perfect. The sound and set up of this particular uke isn't for me. But let me qualify, it was set up with a low wound G. To me, the tone was muddy. Also, the action was high and hard to play. I will have to wait another week or so to try the UT-1 and UC-1. Both of those will be set up for reentrant tuning using Worth strings (the specs of strings are on Collings webb site). After playing them, I'm sure I will make a decision on one or the other. Also, I didn't particularly like the feel of the neck. The thin neck of the Loprinzi has spoiled me. Please don't think that I'm bashing the instrument. I'm not. This particular model just isn't for me. I'm sure it will wind up being someone's holy grail. But for now, I'll keep my Loprinzi A-CT and Pono ATD. The ATD is strung with Savarez with a low unwound G. I honestly didn't think the Collings had anything over the Pono or Loprinzi except for about $1000.00. If the UT-2 is representative of the UT-1, I will definitely pass on the UT-1.

Last edited:
My experience with my Collings UT2-K was that it took about 6-8 months to open up and then it became sweet and spectacular. However, at the beginning my Kiwaya concert was much better sounding. I just kept playing the Collings and didn't even notice that the sound had improved so much because the change was gradual. Then one day while playing with my uke club, my buddy commented that the Collings was sounding really rich and loud and then I realized that it had changed. I had a great time with the Collings and now another UU member is enjoying it.

Top Bottom