Do YOU think a strap button devalues the instrument?

Those straps that Jake uses, I saw the one he uses and I've seen the ones he sells, and they aren't the same thing. At least when they first came out the weren't.

I have something along the same lines with a plastic hook. I thought that the plastic might not damage the finish but I've never had reason to use it, so it has set in the uke case for maybe six or seven years.

The problem I have with the straps that hook into the sound hole is that I have forgotten it was connected when I stood up, or I wasn't paying attention and I tried to do something else like pck up some music I dropped and my uke would roll right out of the clip and fall to the floor.

You pretty much have to have one hand on your uke at all times with one of those straps.

I prefer a two button strap that I don't have to worry about the tenor taking a dive to the floor. I can turn the music and take a sip of my Guiness, and not worry about my uke.

I’m a supporter of end buttons and straps. All my ukuleles have them, from the $50 Flight Soprano up to the $1000+ KoAloha concert. They help me play more easily, and I don’t have to worry about dropping the uke. Because an ukulele that falls on a hard floor will definitely have a depreciated value. :)

Want a small poll/opinions here:

Personally, I think it might, but probably not by much, and most buyers wouldn’t mind it anyway, as long it’s on the tailpiece, same with a pickup. If it’s on the neck, I personally think it’s kind of an eyesore, as you can have one tail button and the other side of the strap go around the headstock. But that’s just my opinion.

The reason I’m asking:

Just bought a Kanile’a soprano, and concert is about the smallest body I can play without a strap. The instrument is just so small, I can’t get a good grip on it when playing very demanding finger style, so I’m probably gonna have to put a strap button on it. But I also don’t wanna devalue it too much. Since I don’t have any sentimental value to this uke, I want to be able to sell it in the future if it’s just not working out for me.
No, what devalues a ukulele is not playing it. If you get no enjoyment from the instrument, it is worthless.

Ukuleles are meant to be played, not traded like commodities.

I think it would devalue more after dropping the uke without a strap button. I

That being said, if it is a two piece side and the lower bout strap button is at the seam, I would pass on a second hand uke.

Want a small poll/opinions here:

Personally, I think it might, but probably not by much, and most buyers wouldn’t mind it anyway, as long it’s on the tailpiece, same with a pickup. If it’s on the neck, I personally think it’s kind of an eyesore, as you can have one tail button and the other side of the strap go around the headstock. But that’s just my opinion.

The reason I’m asking:

Just bought a Kanile’a soprano, and concert is about the smallest body I can play without a strap. The instrument is just so small, I can’t get a good grip on it when playing very demanding finger style, so I’m probably gonna have to put a strap button on it. But I also don’t wanna devalue it too much. Since I don’t have any sentimental value to this uke, I want to be able to sell it in the future if it’s just not working out for me.
No, if the strap button is not horribly ugly or installed incorrectly it won't devalue the uke in fact it is added value.

I think it would devalue more after dropping the uke without a strap button. I

That being said, if it is a two piece side and the lower bout strap button is at the seam, I would pass on a second hand uke.
If installed correctly, the strap button does not affect the seam or the two sides. It's when the hole for the button is too small resulting in the screw forcing its way into the hole that may have an adverse effect on the tail seam. I have had over 60 tenors with tail strap buttons, and not one had a problem caused by the button.

I am a true convert to using a hand drill instead of a power drill when I make the holes for the strap button screw. You have way more control so there's less chance of the tip of the drill bit walking and marring the finish. I had that happen, even though I used an awl to make a starter hole before drilling. It's also easier to eyeball that the angle is correct before starting the drilling.

If installed correctly, the strap button does not affect the seam or the two sides. It's when the hole for the button is too small resulting in the screw forcing its way into the hole that may have an adverse effect on the tail seam. I have had over 60 tenors with tail strap buttons, and not one had a problem caused by the button.

I am a true convert to using a hand drill instead of a power drill when I make the holes for the strap button screw. You have way more control so there's less chance of the tip of the drill bit walking and marring the finish. I had that happen, even though I used an awl to make a starter hole before drilling. It's also easier to eyeball that the angle is correct before starting the drilling.

I’m a firm believer in using hand powered tools first and only resorting to powered tools when necessary. It seems to me that you’re so much more in control with hand power and that (electric) powered tools can be heavy to hold and have a tendency to do something not intended by the user. A few days back I installed a strap button on a Soprano’s lower boute; marked it all out carefully, used a pointed awl to start the hole and then carefully and slowly drilled with a hand drill repeatedly checking alignment as I went. Yep, it would have been possible to do the job quicker with a power tool but I’m in no hurry.

With regard to tail seams I’ve few points:
# drill in the middle of the seam.
# take your time removing material slowly.
# make the first 1/16” (depth) of the hole very slightly oversize for the screw, the screw is secured in the tail block.

Last edited:
I’m a firm believer in using hand powered tools first and only resorting to powered tools when necessary. It seems to me that you’re so much more in control with hand power and that (electric) powered tools can be heavy to hold and have a tendency to do something not intended by the user. A few days back I installed a strap button on a Soprano’s lower boute; marked it all out carefully, used a pointed awl to start the hole and then carefully and slowly drilled with a hand drill repeatedly checking alignment as I went. Yep, it would have been possible to do the job quicker with a power tool but I’m in no hurry.

With regard to tail seams I’ve few points:
# drill in the middle of the seam.
# take your time removing material slowly.
# make the first 1/16” (depth) of the hole very slightly oversize for the screw, the screw is secured in the tail block.
I first drill a smaller hole, then I drill the larger correct diameter hole for the screw.
I like the felt washers that go between the bottom of the button and the uke. Much better than leather or man-made material.
Plus, I always roll the screw on a bar of soap to make it much easier to tighten. The discontinued Iluak buttons included a tap with every set of two buttons.
Don't over tighten the button.

Aesthetics are important to me, though I’m not anywhere near the 4-digit market. I’m considering adding a button to my recently acquired tenor, but I’m having trouble finding one I like well enough to attach. I may have to give it the ol’ college try with a piece of cocobolo I have.

So to answer the OP, a nice looking and functional end pin/button would be OK. I don’t think I’d tolerate one on the neck heel. I’d prefer to buy instruments without and add them if I want them. I certainly wouldn’t pay extra for them in a used uke. I figure at best any “value added” offsets the devalue of the extra holes.

I'm with Tim on this as well. I value buttons because I value straps. I don't want to worry about the uke when I take a sip of whisky or have to consult the papers on my music stand and I can even keep playing using some left-hand pizzicato if I have to walk to the kitchen and stir some paella lest it stick to the pot.

Top Bottom