Holding the uke (REALLY dumb question)

AussieGirl

Reaction score
OK this is going to sound incredibly dumb, but I do need your help. When holding your uke, where should all the weight be held? I'm currently kinda dividing the weight between my right hand pinkie (holding the bottom of the uke) and resting the neck on the left hand palm/wrist and of course my right elbow/forearm. (Did that make any sense??) I'm sure this isn't right - it makes it awkward to change chords quickly. I'm assuming the right hand/arm should hold all the weight somehow (so you could remove your left hand without compromising the position of the instrument)?

I agree.

It's much easier to change chords if your left hand is free from having to hold the uke.

One of our UU Family, Lori, has invented the Uke Leash, which may be the answer for your situation.

Search for 'Uke Leash' in the forum or Google it.

Keep uke'in',

Aloha Aussiegirl,
Welcome to the UU and our forums.Assuming you're right handed and you're sitting down, rest the bottom bout on your left upper thigh or Lap and put the ukulele between your inside upper forearm(and elbow) and right side body(ribs)and with your left hand place the neck resting between you thumb and index finger... for standing, it's may be harder..you can do the same without your lap and apply a little more pressure
between your forearm and body...for support.or if you need additional support, you can get a uke leash or strap for more support as Uncle Rod suggested...Lori's one is very good and a nice price too.Good Luck
and Happy Strummings!! I hope this helps...Have fun and enjoy.... MM Stan..
P.S. It is not a dumb question, it is only dumb when you don't ask....

Um, cos of one thing and another, it's more awkward for gals to hold ukes un-supported.. Get a uke leash and be done with the juggling act you'll have to do otherwise (no the right arm doesn't support the entire weight of the uke)...using your right pinky to support the uke is going to be difficult to maintain as your strumming improves, you want that right hand to be strumming strings...

Cheers

I second the Uke leash.. It is a fabulous assistance to holding the ukulele and having stability in the neck. I am progressing so much more with my chord changing...
good luck...

That's not a dumb question. Here's a dumb question: Where do I find a uke leash? I've looked all over the place...

prompted by this thread, I put up a new beginner guide on this subject. http://gotaukulele.blogspot.com/2011/01/ukulele-beginners-how-to-hold-and-strum.html

The traditionalists may scoff at me, but my blog is aimed at the beginner, and I think folks get to worried about things like how to hold it right, when they should be concentrating on the music.

I know bad habits can hold back in other areas, but for an instrument like the uke, i think its the having fun that counts. Besides, I've seen some top players all hold and strum differently

Now THAT looks like a good device!.

Had a question... but then I read the instruction... what a concept!
I'm in for one

Stan

Trust me - the Uke Leash is brilliantly simple, and staggeringly good. I was sceptical, Lori sent me one, and she is a genius.

My review here - http://gotaukulele.blogspot.com/2010/11/uke-leash-review.html

Honestly - regardless of how traditional you are about your ukes - the leash just makes it night and day. Fingering on the neck is easier, less muting of the body - its all good, even for a uke that is easy to hold anyway

I have four leashes and a couple of extra headstock pieces. Love them, they all are different colors to match their ukes, and I have the simple black leash that travels to the ones that just have headstock attachments. I use those for the ones I don't play often. I have a gloss Kanile'a tenor that is really slippery and the Uke Leash makes a big difference in stability.

Lori is brilliant! :worship:

Although there's nothing wrong at all with using a strap (leash) .. I feel like learning to hold your uke without one is a pretty useful skill. What size ukulele are you playing? IMO any size beyond soprano makes holding the instrument without a strap far more difficult due to the weight. I hold my soprano with my forearm resting below the bridge, be careful not to press too hard or else you'll dampen the sound projected from the instrument. The left hand should be mostly free to fret, the right hand should be able to strum comfortably around the area where the neck joins the body. It takes a lot of practice! Don't give up! :D

When people are first learning an instrument, there is a period of time when they are trying to make it work, and to see if it is fun. If too many elements combine to make it frustrating, many people will just give up. I have heard cello players say that they don't play anymore because the cello is hard to tune, and they lost their teacher (who would always tune it for them). So, concerns about holding the uke, and tuning (I love electronic tuners!), etc. are important to resolve quickly. It is great if you can go strapless, but don't let that goal interfere with you having fun with your uke. It is something that you can perfect later if you like. Right at the beginning, there is so much to learn that your efforts might be better spent learning chords and strums. Believe me, I got pretty tired dropping the neck when changing hand positions without a strap. Now I can play simple things on small ukes strapless, but anything complicated or on a larger (or top heavy) uke, and the strap is greatly appreciated.

–Lori

No Question is Dumb when you're a beginner!!! You have to start somewhere so don't be humble when you want to ask a question XD FOr me, it's easier to squeeze the ukulele under my strumming forearm. It' like... holding a dog... maybe.. no. It's as if you are trying to squeeze the ukulele's body between your arm and your actually stomach, breasts.. whatever. IF you let go with both hands, that ukulele should stay there. That's my rule :p

Top Bottom