Since owning a ukulele how many clip on tuners

I've got 2 , and what cool gizmos they are. I'm old so before this I always tuned by ear with a tuning fork.

Well, I've got 4 altogether.
One is on permanent loan with the Dolphin, one is for clarinet/sax so it doesn't really count even though it is a clip-on....
The other two are Planet Wave mini headstock tuners and live on my concert ukes - no chance to lose them that way.

And if everything fails I still have a tuning app on all my mobile phones :)

Must admit I am thinking about another PW mini for the Soprano though - it's really comfortable once you got used to it.....

Last edited:
I only have two. Bought a second one only because the battery compartment lid disappeared from the first (original still works with duct tape). I figure I can only use one at a time. Well, I'm lucky if I can find one at a time!

Gah, I couldn't even tell you how many tuners are in the house. There are 3 musicians living in my house...every time I move something I find a tuner.

I think I personally own 4? 5? Somewhere around there. I'm a little afraid to put all the tuners in one spot to count...I'm sure the total number is in the 20s.

I'm still a ukulele newlywed, only 6 months in and I'll soon be the owner of a 2nd clip on tuner. I have a Cherub that came with the ukulele which seems to be working fine but I wanted to check out the Snarks that I've read so much about. (I got a new blue one for < $9 delivered.) It'll be interesting to check out the tuning between the two and the chromatic tuner will be more versatile. I'm not a clip it on, leave it on kind of guy. I tune my uke then put the tuner right back in my case so I never lose track of it. I just hope there's enough room in that little compartment to fit the Snark in there.

I have two - one in the case of whichever uke I might be travelling with and another one in the house. I have some spare batteries for them as well.

I've probably purchased more than 30 clip-on tuners, covering a wide range of brands. I've only lost one.

I've given 6 or 8 to people I play with regularly, and we've included one with each uke we've gifted.

We have one in the case of each of our (nine) ukes, a couple within reach of our recliners, one by the computer, one on my work bench, one in our "strings" bag, etc. (I also have a keychain tuner that I keep in my purse for "emergencies.")

Three. Two Kala's and a Snark. Got one Kala as a throw in from MGM when I bought my KoAloha Pikake concert a couple of years back.

My Snark does not work well. It often doesn't register at all, especially on slotted headstocks. I think that I got a lemon. Anybody else have problems with their Snark?

Three. Two Kala's and a Snark. Got one Kala as a throw in from MGM when I bought my KoAloha Pikake concert a couple of years back.

My Snark does not work well. It often doesn't register at all, especially on slotted headstocks. I think that I got a lemon. Anybody else have problems with their Snark?

I've never had a problem with Snarks. Is it one of the ones with a mic setting? I cursed and cursed one of my tuners, changed the battery, eventually wrote it off as a piece of junk...

...it was set to mic and not clip.

I have one. I never use it. It's clipped to my uke rack with dust covering it. I've had it for about 4 years.

I tune by ear 99% of the time, and I usually just tune my ukuleles to themselves.
If I need to get a proper tune to match learning a song or something, I use this online tuner, and tune by ear - http://www.get-tuned.com/online_ukulele_tuner.php

I will say I do audio for a living, so my pitch hearing ability is pretty high.
Cheers,
Skottoman

Bought one when I started uke just over 3 years ago.
Still using it.Mainly use relative tuning after tuning one
string by it though!

I was doing good until I started having freinds over to play. They seem to get borrowed and the disappear into a parallel dimension. I think I'm easily into double digits. Oh well, that's better that everyone being out of tune!

Hey Mike, do you give bulk discounts?

I've never had a problem with Snarks. Is it one of the ones with a mic setting? I cursed and cursed one of my tuners, changed the battery, eventually wrote it off as a piece of junk...

...it was set to mic and not clip.

No Tammy, it is set to VIB. I have tried it both ways. Sometimes it works, sometimes nothing.

I have a bunch of ukuleles and would often find myself without a tuner because I'd left the tuner in the case of the last ukulele I'd played. Snarks are so inexpensive that I've since bought several, and I keep one in each case.

Luckily only 1 but only bought it last Christmas so there is still time yet.

I have had 7. Three Snarks, 1 Fishman FT1, 3 Planet Waves mini.

The Fishman was given to me when my husband got his first Snark. I liked his Snark better, so I picked up my own. I picked up a second Snark to keep with the uke I take to uke meetings because I kept forgetting to pack my tuner before leaving the house. Sometimes I leave the house with a different uke than the one I normally take, and again forget to pack a tuner so I purchased the mini tuners to keep on my top 3 most played ukes. (Yes, I really am this forgetful. :eek:) I picked up the third Snark for my son, planning to give it to him when he got his guitar. He decided to he wanted the shared Frankensnark I made out of a couple of my husbands broken Snarks, so that third one has become the shared tuner I keep by the instrument wall.

BTW my husband has broken 4 Snarks, so I got him a Tune Tech Orb off of Amazon. They have a similar big brightly colored display as the Snarks, but without any of the added features like the metronome. He can easily read it without the aid of his reading glasses and the neck joining the clip and tuner is bulkier than the Snark, so I think he'll have a harder time breaking it. Maybe. Only time will tell. (I swear that man could break an anvil with a marshmallow.)

Top Bottom