Today's Chuckle

I was having dinner with Garry Kasparov and there was a checkered tablecloth. It took him two hours to pass me the salt.

Last edited:
This tale took place Tuesday evening.
We went to hear Herb Alpert and Lani Hall at a theater in New London, Conn. Having been a trumpet major in college I never miss an opportunity to hear them.
Anyway, before the show was about to begin, I made sure to take a trip to the men's room. As I opened the door and walked in, two middle aged guys were walking out. One of the guys absolutely reeked of weed! Why does anyone need to toke up before a Herb Alpert show?
BTW, the show was excellent. At 89, Herb plays better now than he did in his younger days. He talked a little about quitting playing in the early 70's after some chop struggles. He began studying with a man named Carmine Caruso to resurrect his playing career. I also studied with Carmine around the same time after some technical issues.
He and Lani travel with an excellent trio. Herb plays a short Tijuana Brass Medley for nostalgia's sake. Lani was the lead singer with Sergio Mendes and does a medley from her time with him. The rest of the show is mostly Great American Songbook done in a Brazilian style.
Lani is worth the price of admission by herself, wonderful voice. She's about 78-79 and looks like a woman in her 40's. She's gorgeous. They're about to celebrate 50 years of marriage as well.

We went to hear Herb Alpert and Lani Hall at a theater in New London, Conn. Having been a trumpet major in college I never miss an opportunity to hear them.
Anyway, before the show was about to begin, I made sure to take a trip to the men's room. As I opened the door and walked in, two middle aged guys were walking out. One of the guys absolutely reeked of weed! Why does anyone need to toke up before a Herb Alpert show?
BTW, the show was excellent. At 89, Herb plays better now than he did in his younger days. He talked a little about quitting playing in the early 70's after some chop struggles. He began studying with a man named Carmine Caruso to resurrect his playing career. I also studied with Carmine around the same time after some technical issues.
He and Lani travel with an excellent trio. Herb plays a short Tijuana Brass Medley for nostalgia's sake. Lani was the lead singer with Sergio Mendes and does a medley from her time with him. The rest of the show is mostly Great American Songbook done in a Brazilian style.
Lani is worth the price of admission by herself, wonderful voice. She's about 78-79 and looks like a woman in her 40's. She's gorgeous. They're about to celebrate 50 years of marriage as well.
I don't get it.

Kind of unusual to want to toke up before a Herb Alpert show, don't you think? Not exactly like going to see The Grateful Dead.
Dude… I have acquaintances who light up, gummie down, or have some milk & ‘brownies’ before Lawrence Welk reruns!

Last edited:
Not inappropriate at all (as has been noted before on these forums) …

I saw them do this on a rerun a while back and couldn't believe that they were covering this song. My theory is that the song was included on the show because it was catchy and contained the phrase, "sweet Jesus" and they overlooked or didn't know what "one toke over the line" actually meant.

I saw them do this on a rerun a while back and couldn't believe that they were covering this song. My theory is that the song was included on the show because it was catchy and contained the phrase, "sweet Jesus" and they overlooked or didn't know what "one toke over the line" actually meant.
You will never convince me that none of the musicians in Lawrence's band knew what a "toke" was.

This Wikipedia article clarifies how this song ended up being aired on Lawrence Welk.

QUOTE:
"For some, the lyrics evoked the Christian belief of salvation and had a Christian Rock feeling. (e.g. Waitin' for the train to come home sweet Mary," etc.) Without comprehending the drug reference to the word "toke," a cover version was performed in early 1971 by Gail Farrell and Dick Dale on The Lawrence Welk Show. (Welk was seemingly unaware of the song's drug references or the meaning of the word "toke," and had programmed it after mistakenly concluding that the song was a "modern spiritual.")"

Not inappropriate at all (as has been noted before on these forums) …

My late mother, who knew I was getting high back in those days, probably got a huge kick outta this. Lawrence Welk's show was her fave.

I nearly freaked out when I found out that my new friends, who were Bluegrass musicians, loved to toke. Bluegrass musicians are usually "believers" who do a lot of gospel songs. I did a double take to learn that my fiddle teacher was an atheist who loved Mary Jane.
I wound up entering a world of super duper weed, and hashish. I became a dealer for a while. Fun times! o_O

Top Bottom