Why get upset?

touche', deach, touche'.

I played guitar-hero once at a friends house. And after about an hour I thought to myself "That was fun, but what a HUGE waste of time. That's an hour that I'll never get back". I guess now that I'm really old i've started to appreciate each remaining hour more and more.

One of my brothers is the exact opposite. He tried to play the bass for an hour or so. He seemed to be enjoying it but when he stopped, he said he could have been playing one of his games. For him, gaming is his relaxation. He takes it as seriously as many amateur musicians take their music. He gets the pleasures and relaxation and experiences frustration and satisfaction, just like musicians do. He doesn't do it for a living and he doesn't do it for anyone else, and neither do most of us.

One of my brothers is the exact opposite. He tried to play the bass for an hour or so. He seemed to be enjoying it but when he stopped, he said he could have been playing one of his games. For him, gaming is his relaxation. He takes it as seriously as many amateur musicians take their music. He gets the pleasures and relaxation and experiences frustration and satisfaction, just like musicians do. He doesn't do it for a living and he doesn't do it for anyone else, and neither do most of us.

Right on, deach. Sometimes we play no particular way but our own.

If it's only a toy, does that mean that playing "UKE HERO" on your PS2 (excuse me for my video game ignorance-i know nothing about them) is just as constructive as actually learning to play the uke? I have been thinking about this and I am honestly curious what others think.

omg a uke-hero game sounds fantastic.:nana:

I was thinking more about this, and taking alto clarinet as an example - I'd dearly love to have one, that's why - I wouldn't get upset if someone said "Oh, that's a weird looking and sounding sax you have there" simply because, how would they know?

I'd also like to have a flugelhorn, and I've heard those called big trumpets. How many people here can name every wind instrument on sight alone? Not me.

I think what gets us isn't that they don't know what a uke is, it's that assumption of small=stupid. 4 strings sound lesser than 6. They don't know what it is, therefore, it is a toy. Now that is willful ignorance and that would ruffle any musician's feathers. Is a violin a toy? Why not? It's small and has four strings.

It's worse when it comes from family, who are well used to you playing various other things! And you love this little instrument, and they see it as lesser because... a tall long-haired dude sang falsetto with one.

So I don't think it's that they don't know what a uke is, it's all about attitude.

I had a very interesting experience last weekend, when some friends came to visit. They picked up my uke and were strumming madly away. So they asked me to play for them. I asked them had they ever heard any complex pieces of music played on the uke, like classical music, like the way a classical guitar is played. They said...." oh sure we know that it can be played like that..."

So, I played the Europa intro for them, and they said " ...wow! I didn't know you could play like that on the ukulele and that it could sound like that..."

Then one of them said, I don't understand how only four strings can make that kind of sound?

Go figure :confused:

Last edited:
At this year's NY UkeFest, the dude form the StringBusters palyed the most amazing version of Beetoven's 5th. I was speechless.

It's worse when it comes from family, who are well used to you playing various other things! And you love this little instrument, and they see it as lesser because... a tall long-haired dude sang falsetto with one.

i play so many other instruments and i get a lot of crap because i like the uke the best.

Top Bottom