Winter is coming: Spread the joy contest

It's 9:40 PM local time...so 2:40 until I call quits (who am I kidding?). I am going to bed. Finally got snow and I am pooped from my play session in the snow.

In the morning when I wake up, I will post my last top five favorite "christmas" movie.

Then we will do the drawing (I plan to video this, but the upload speed I have is only 275kps) so don't get your hopes up.

I think a pic says it best much better than words-taken yesterday at Home Depot.SherrieSantacutout12:1:2014.jpg bonus entry answer "The Grinch Who Stole Christmas".

Here are some war / war-ish / war-related / or possibly war-related movies (literal and figurative) from Wikipedia that feature Christmas or are set around Christmas:

"12 Monkeys"
"1941"
"Backfire"
"Battleground"
"Ben Hur"
"The Devil Makes Three"
"Donovan's Reef"
"The English Patient"
"Expendables 2"
"The Fighting Sullivans"
"First Blood"
"Futurama: Bender's Big Score"
"Grumpy Old Men" (haha)
"The Lion in Winter"
"The Manchurian Candidate"
"Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence"
"A Midnight Clear"
"Mr. Soft Touch"
"Mutiny on the Bounty"
"My Reputation"
"On Her Majesty's Secret Service"
"Pride of the Marines"
"Sakura Wars: The Movie"
"Since You Went Away"
"Soldier"
"Stalag 17"
"Star Trek Generations"
"The Story of G.I. Joe"
"Three Days of the Condor"
"Tomorrow is Forever"
"Toys"
"The Umbrellas of Cherbourg"
"The Victors"

Yes, a lot of these are a stretch! Just trying to be thorough and not miss anything. :)

Ah ... how could I forget "Brazil"?! Not a war movie, but one of my all-time favorites ... and the whole scenario begins at Christmas.

And "Trading Places" ... has no one mentioned this yet?

Last edited:
To make the contest "fair" I will reread this whole thread and choose my favorite post for one of the prizes...Yes, MY FAVORITE. Subjective? Sure. But it IS my contest.

The other three prizes will be awarded by random number drawing. I will write down the post number and place in a hat. Then I will use my handy dandy assistant to draw three numbers out. Possibly all three numbers will be drawn at the same time. My assistant does what she wants to do most times. But I will try to get her to only draw one at a time.

Prizes:
1. Still haven't decided yet (My favorite)
2. $25 gift card to UkeRepublic
3. $20 gift card to UkeRepublic
4. $10 gift card to UkeRepublic

And the contest is over:

Woohooooooo!!!! I was thinking of that one days ago, but I couldn't remember whether it had a Christmas scene in it ... such a long time ago.....

Interesting jump cuts when he turns around to go back down the file the other way.

Last edited:
Alright...I am having some technical difficulties...I shot a video, but it is to large for my internet connection. I tried to upload and 48 hours was just a little to long for me. I do live 350 miles from a paved road.

So i am going to try again this weekend at the school...but may not have the authorization...we will have to see. If the video fails again, then I am just going to post results here.

You really are in the Yukon!
We are nothing if not patient, while you wait for your dogsled to return you to Christmastown.

And the results are in:

What we did, was pile all numbers in a box. Then we drew 5 numbers. Those numbers are the finalists for the top three prizes.

Post#32
Post#33
Post#61
Post#9
Post#60

These five posts will go back into the box and we will draw three. Then the three will go in and drawn out one at a time. For 3rd, 2nd, 1st prize.
Grand Pize winner will be announced afterwards.

And the results are in:

What we did, was pile all numbers in a box. Then we drew 5 numbers. Those numbers are the finalists for the top three prizes.

Post#32
Post#33
Post#61
Post#9
Post#60

These five posts will go back into the box and we will draw three. Then the three will go in and drawn out one at a time. For 3rd, 2nd, 1st prize.
Grand Pize winner will be announced afterwards.

Top 3:
Post#33
Post#60
Post#32

Top Bottom