My Kanilea gets new koa Taisamlu tuner buttons

wickedwahine11

Reaction score
I just added some new koa buttons onto my Kanilea's Grover tuners. I had previously swapped out the black stock buttons for some mother of pearl as a quick fix while I waited for some koa ones I had ordered from Taisamlu. (A previous order of StewMac koa Waverly tuners were way too light for my uke's coloring). The previous thread is here: http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...6-Koa-tuners-from-Taisamlu&highlight=taisamlu

I am actually really happy with the results. I ordered two types of tuners from Taisamlu on eBay. The first were some gold ones with koa buttons, the others were a silver plate style with koa buttons.

The first set arrived yesterday (not too bad -- only about a week's shipping) and three of them were a chocolate brown color, with one more of a golden brown. Then today the plate style ones came and low and behold, they were three more golden ones and one darker brown.

I tried both the brown and the golden colored ones, and I think the lighter set are a better match for the coloring on my headstock. I didn't use the actual tuners he sent me, just the buttons, so I popped the pearl buttons onto the gold set, and used the four lighter koa buttons on the Grovers. The darker koa buttons I kept on the silver plate style in case I ever decide to sell them or change up the look of this, or another uke.

These are the silver plate style ones:
silverbacktuners.jpg

This is how the lighter koa ones look on my uke's headstock:
koatuners.jpg

Finally, this is a portrait of my uke, with all her mods in place: koa buttons, and koa bridge pins (with abalone inlay dots).
ailanaportrait.jpg

I thought I couldn't love my Kanile'a Island Inlay tenor any more. But I am glad I got the koa buttons. The shipping was super fast and it was a cost effective way to make my uke the way I wanted it, since the buttons cost so much less money than the Waverly tuners did. In addition, I don't have to worry about whether it voids my uke's warranty as I didn't drill holes or replace the actual tuners, just the buttons.

I know a lot of people wouldn't care for the koa buttons, but now my dream ukulele is a dream come true for me. I would highly recommend the $20 expenditure if anyone is contemplating using wood buttons on their uke. Admittedly, I had to order two sets to get four that sort of matched though (even though the pictures don't really show that), as otherwise I would have had one much darker or lighter than the remaining tuners.

Very nice! I really like the way that looks. Maybe I'll order some to put on my Kanile'a concert.

I love the way the small additions look! Classy touches... Maybe I'll change the buttons on my K1- Premium Tenor now, hm..

Oh, BTW, don't you adore the SMELL of the new Kanile'a? :)
Cheers,
Skottoman

Beautiful Staci, just beautiful. I seen that model uke in a store in Waikiki, don't remember which one, I went to all of them, anyway I loved the look of my homeland on the soundboard.

Aloha Staci,
Thank you for sharing and the photos..of your kanilea upgrade...the personal touch really sets it off and it looks awesome...love how they match the headstock and uke....Happy Strummings...

Very, very tasteful, and Congrats once again on you new Kanilea, Oh Wicked One. I like them. Not that you're a little anal about these things, ehhhh??? :)

Top Bottom