Season 378 "Banned by the Beeb"

I did this song awhile back, but it's on the banned list, and one of my favorites, so I did it again now. I had requests to play more on the Barbie guitar, which is a ukulele, that belongs to my little niece, after it made a cameo appearance in a video I did last week. I like to give the people what they want, so here ya go!

OK Val, here's one to cheer you up.
Now, strictly speaking, the BBC have never banned this song. It's just that they don't play it any more. It was a huge hit in 1969 for Rolf Harris, and like a few others, he is no longer welcome on the airwaves due to his off-stage activities. But the song has been around a lot longer, written in 1902, and recorded by many others over the years. The way I sing it is borrowed entirely from The Deighton Family, a folky/bluegrassy act (mum, dad, and quite a few kids) who were around 30+ years ago.

What’s not to love about XTC, that’s what I want to know? This was banned, it appears, because of the line “In my fantasy I sail beneath your skirt”. Incidentally Val, did you know Ivor Biggun is, or was, I’m not sure if he’s still around, Doc Cox Of That’s Life fame.

This one was banned by the beeb for its voyeuristic (peeping Tom) aspect. I've kept it fairly short as my vocals were becoming a hybrid of Formby and Hilda Ogden the longer it went on :D

Incidentally Val, did you know Ivor Biggun is, or was, I’m not sure if he’s still around, Doc Cox Of That’s Life fame.
It did always strike me as a bit ironic that one of the filthiest songs ever was sung by someone who starred in one of the BBC's most popular shows, suitable for all the family.

Since Trent grabbed Maybelline, I figured another '50s classic was due.

Smoking, gambling, insubordination, truancy ... I really don't see the problem. Lighten up, Beeb!

Appeal from technologically challenged person! John M. (Ukecaster) has just pointed out that when he clicks the link to the Playlist, it always goes to the first video ... although I noticed that all the entries are listed down the right hand side of the page. Have I done something wrong? (It doesn't seem to be possible any more to set up the Playlist as Linda (Louden) suggests in her wonderfully helpful guide and I think I DID click on the first video to start the Playlist off.) Is there something else I should have done?

Forgot to mention the things I have been banned from.
As far as I know I am still banned from a restaurant in York, where a group of us once set fire to a tablecloth (a mishap with some flaming alcohol). Now, restaurants come and go all the time in York, but of course, this one is still there 30 years later. But sshhh...don't tell them...I went there last year with my family and nobody noticed...
Also, and on a totally different topic, I was banned from giving blood, when they found that I had an unusually natural high level of whatever it is that says you've got Rubella. It had doctors puzzled for months (I actually had glandular fever), but test after test came back the same, so I have used that as my get-out clause ever since.

Forgot to mention the things I have been banned from.
As far as I know I am still banned from a restaurant in York, where a group of us once set fire to a tablecloth (a mishap with some flaming alcohol). Now, restaurants come and go all the time in York, but of course, this one is still there 30 years later. But sshhh...don't tell them...I went there last year with my family and nobody noticed...
Also, and on a totally different topic, I was banned from giving blood, when they found that I had an unusually natural high level of whatever it is that says you've got Rubella. It had doctors puzzled for months (I actually had glandular fever), but test after test came back the same, so I have used that as my get-out clause ever since.

Oh, I love the tablecloth story! Our elder son went one better than that and set fire to the actual table at his friend's house down the road (which was, apparently, a family heirloom) ...well, to be perfectly honest, we were never quite sure whether it was him or his friend who set fire to the table. Whatever, we weren't very popular down there for a while! And the glandular fever ... poor you; not a pleasant thing to have. Thanks so much for these splendid confessions, Steve!

How could a song with such a great message be banned?

Thanks, Christopher ... I appreciate your opinion! I agree that it is clever (Joo is very clever) but there is a hidden agenda here, which is why I reacted the way I did.

I must say that I really, honestly believe that Joo, as an artist, is fully embracing the theme. I do not find her image or her song offensive or inappropriate in any way. In fact, I would say it fits the theme precisely.

Aloha Folks!
Been away from the Seasons for a while, glad you are all still keeping at it!
Hope to come back and play with you folks again in the very near future.

this is a video of me painting the Master of Suspense. I made up some stuff on my baritone ukulele to go with the video.

Top Bottom