Season 492 - If I Had The Wings Of A Dove

On day 2 of this animal carnival, this was what happened.

Jim brought a very palatable "s**" song. You gotta have a taste.
Wim (accidentally) turned his comments off....He sounded great though, but now we can't let him know!
Edwin charmed us with a Gnu. A Gnu. (wth is a Gnu? )
Then Bob decided to bring a whorse, i mean horse. Oops.
I suspect that dog in Brian Fergus's video thumbnail stole Brian's hat, that's why Brian Fergus ended up with no hat.
He did some phenomenal harmonies and whistling but the dog did not flinch.
(How's my poetry writing?)
Liz, the radiant, dazzling, multi-talented Liz, and her little bird pendent. I am in awe. But not with her pendent.
Brian pabrizzer noodled a beaut. ( never heard of the word "beaut" until I heard it from Brian. Read it. Never heard him say the word.
I think his mouth might make a funny shape when he says "Beaut" but his beard shields everything, so I can't be sure.)
Andrew Morse gave us some robin parenting advice via his lovely playing and singing. I melted. Still no flight though, from me. I shall remain a chick for the rest of my life.
Someone finally did the intro song justice! It was Brian (pabrizzer Brian). Thanks Brian!
Janet entertained us with her superb (and hilarious) puppetry and acting and singing and playing and video-editing. (Thanks for being so silly Janet.)
Then Rob went walkies with Pa. How nice.
Followed by more dog-walking and bath scenes (yay) from Rob! ( you walk, you wash)
Kev brought a seagull. Actually, several seagulls. But he is not in "Bad Company". Nope. Except when the bird shits on his head.
(the seagulls did not harm Kev, his cover was very very very good)
It seems to me that most of us want to be a dog. Ryan too. He got a bad sore throat. From howling.
(don't throw eggs at me Ryan! I am just summarising today's events)
Just when everyone thought everything was set back to normal when Stanley brought us his hippopotamus,
Jim had to bring us a dead skunk.

Phew. That was the report for today!

I forgive you Jim for bringing the dead skunk. Because that photo of you and Kathy is so NICE. Thank you.

Oh boy. I can't help myself.
One more animal video, from Todd B.

Actually on my way to go play at a local nursing home. This is one of their favorites. Told a musician friend of mine what I was doing and he said "haven't they suffered enough"........

So nice to see you, Fred! Your musician friend is either joking or just mean. Sorry but I needed to say that.

I think that was a fabulous cover! And i have ears. No suffering here, haha.

Hi, Joo ... and very many thanks for this week! This song comes from 1965, and my gosh ... THOSE LYRICS! If anyone talked to me like that under the illusion that he was paying me a compliment, I would run a mile .... times have changed! However, as this is a week about animals, I chose to dedicate it to our cat, Margot, who kindly volunteered to star in the accompanying video. (I have to admit that the background sound effects were not her ... her agent won't let her do voice-overs!)

Last edited:
Another blast from the past. When I first started playing to practice a song and still play for children I would change the original song to something children would want to hear. This one is one of my best I think.
To the tune of “Bad, Bad, Leroy Brown”.

This one's a traditional song. It was published by Thomas Ravenscroft in "Melismata" in 1611 but probably dates back at least to the early years of the previous century. There is a Scottish version of this called the "Twa Corbies" which is very much darker.

Hi again, Joo! I've been waiting for the right season to come along to cover this wonderful Paoriginal. It mentions a frog and turtles. I hope it qualifies. Thank you, Brian, for trusting me with this. I decided to do just one voice, one ukulele, but there are harmonies galore, if you'd like to hear them. Just let me know.

Love Again My Heart
Pabrizzer (Brian Caldwell)

And with some harmonies:

Last edited:
Hi again, Joo! I've been waiting for the right season to come along to cover this wonderful Paoriginal. It mentions a frog and turtles. I hope it qualifies. Thank you, Brian, for trusting me with this. I decided to do just one voice, one ukulele, but there are harmonies galore, if you'd like to hear them. Just let me know.

Love Again My Heart
Pabrizzer (Brian Surname?)

wow! that was delivered so beautifully Liz - there is a kind of thrill in hearing a song you wrote getting a life beyond your own delivery - thank you! - and yes i for one want to hear the harmonies please...

My apologies in advance for this Loudon Wainwright III ditty.
Donovan wrote a lovely song called Colours. This is a slightly less lovely song also called Colours. I'll make up for it later in the week Joo, I promise.

I'm glad you apologized. I know you didn't write that. I was quite disgusted. Thanks for the visual.
Our band actually does Dead Skunk In The Middle of the Road. It's disgusting too. Monday and friend and i were able to get an audience singing along with it.
I know LWIII's cousin Sloan Wainwright, such a musical family.
Pretty cool you played mandolin in a Bluegrass band. Do you have any recordings?

Last edited:
SOTU 492 - "Bird Song" - always one of my favorite Grateful Dead tunes, was co-written by Robert Hunter and Jerry Garcia in 1971 as a tribute to Janis Joplin. Janis had been a great friend to the band and had died from an accidental drug overdose the previous year. The Dead started playing it in concert in February of '71 and it was recorded on Garcia's eponymous solo debut record in '72.

Good day, good afternoon, and good evening to you, dear Seasonistas!
Today is a public holiday in Singapore. It is Hari Raya Haji, which means the Day of the Pilgrimage or Hajj (in Arabic).
So I will have a bit more time to bug you all.

Although it may sound strange, but we do get to see a variety of migratory birds and animals here, in our concrete jungle.
Families of otters have been sighted in shopping malls and underground trains.
I have seen different types of squirrels on trees in the heart of heavily built-up residential areas, monkeys too..
I think, thanks to the many trees planted all over our small island, this provides a habitat for some or many insects and birds, and small animals.
I have also read that there are still pangolins getting killed on our roads....argh.

Which leads me to share this link of 50 amazing animal bridges around the world. We have one in Singapore. Check them out.
https://www.boredpanda.com/bridges-for-animals-around-the-world/?utm_source=sg.search.yahoo&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=organic

We also have a Natural History Museum. That was there when I saw my first Hermit Crab. It looked very withdrawn.

Anyway...

Really nice to see all these videos up here. I hope those of you browsing this thread are enjoying the music.

Will be nice to see some new faces. Everyone is welcome to participate. As you can see I am quite basic in my playing, so you are not alone if you think your playing is average.

I will watch and comment on these last few videos soon.

Last edited:
As you probably surmised, Joo, I’m having fun with the Season. Maybe I need to write a hermit crab song, huh? Are used to have mini hermit crabs and they are very entertaining to watch in the evening. You can hear them “talking“ to each other and see them change shells. Very fun creatures
If taken care of properly. Some can even live 30 years!!

Good day, good afternoon, and good evening to you, dear Seasonistas!
Today is a public holiday in Singapore. It is Hari Raya Haji, which means the Day of the Pilgrimage or Hajj (in Arabic).
So I will have a bit more time to bug you all.

Although it may sound strange, but we do get to see a variety of migratory birds and animals here, in our concrete jungle.
Families of otters have been sighted in shopping malls and underground trains.
I have seen different types of squirrels on trees in the heart of heavily built-up residential areas, monkeys too..
I think, thanks to the many trees planted all over our small island, this provides a habitat for some or many insects and birds, and small animals.
I have also read that there are still pangolins getting killed on our roads....argh.

Which leads me to share this link of 50 amazing animal bridges around the world. We have one in Singapore.

We also have a Natural History Museum. That was there when I saw my first Hermit Crab. It looked very withdrawn.

Anyway...

Really nice to see all these videos up here. I hope those of you browsing this thread are enjoying the music.

Will be nice to see some new faces. Everyone is welcome to participate. As you can see I am quite basic in my playing, so you are not alone if you think your playing is average.

I will watch and comment on these last few videos soon.

I have driven under most of the Canadian bridges in that article Joo. I was going to add some photos, but you had them all covered. Something very similar here in Port Hope, is the fish ladder at Corbet's Dam on the Ganaraska River. Both salmon and rainbow trout use it each year and many folks head down to watch them jump. The first two photos are the fish ladder and the third is taken from the Ontario Street Bridge, south of the dam. Port Hope is on the north shore of Lake Ontario.
Fish ladder PH 1.jpg Fish ladder PH 2.jpgFish ladder PH 3 from the bridge.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom