5)laminate
6)laminate
7)solid
8)laminate
9)solid
10)solid
11)laminate
12)solid

I think the number of each type of 'ukulele should have been the only hint allowed without progress reports of guesses already made, and only one entry allowed per person. This would have made people more willing to listen to the differences instead guessing from the clues of past guesses. I think it would have made for a more interesting contest.

im pretty sure most people were relying on their ears than other peoples past posts. like me for example, even though i would have more of a chance putting clues together...

im pretty sure most people were relying on their ears than other peoples past posts. like me for example, even though i would have more of a chance putting clues together...

From reading the posts most people stopped listening after their first entry, even MGM saw and commented on it.

From reading the posts most people stopped listening after their first entry, even MGM saw and commented on it.
Never thought of trying to cheat by reading other responses. Must be that I'm naive. I tend to respond to the first post in a thread, then read the answers others have posted.

I actually got into this challenge via the Toronto Ukes forum, where a link was posted.

I can't see much point in trying to guess the answers from other posts. It's like cheating at solitaire. Sure you win, but so what? I was more interested in whether I could actually hear a difference - a bit like a blind wine or tequila tasting. The results are then fodder for more conversation and debate.​

I think too many had the goal of winning the 'ukulele the motivating factor instead of seeing this as a true learning experience. Good analogy about wine tasting.

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure what point you guys are trying to make. Are you saying everyone was cheating? Is this thread really going to come down to something like that?

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure what point you guys are trying to make. Are you saying everyone was cheating? Is this thread really going to come down to something like that?

I think the point was this: if you line up a bunch of ukes side by side in a blind sound test, NO ONE will be able to tell which one is which with 100% accuracy ... unless some level of cheating is involved.

This realization by itself should serve to completely change anyone's preconceptions of ukulele value, as far as sound is concerned. On that note, I liked the Lanikai Mango. :p I always thought that wood was all show and no go!

I never said anyone was cheating, what I said was that many lost the whole point of the contest focusing on the prize an desire to win instead of focusing on the reason for the contest, they used their math skills or process of elimination based on how others answered, and additional clues instead of listening carefully with their own ears. Somebody would have eventually won with their one and only entry which would have made the contest more interesting, to me anyways. I think MGM brought the point home that most people pick there 'ukuleles according to what others hear and say, and not on their own hearing which should be a deciding factor.

Ken Middleton's Aquila versus Worth strings "contest" did not have a prize so I feel kept people focused on the purpose. Both were great learning experiences. Mahalo to both Ken and Mike.

I don't see where it says there was a prize for this challenge... maybe I just missed it.

I don't see where it says there was a prize for this challenge... maybe I just missed it.

I will be posting 2 videos that are blacked out of 12 ukuleles...All Tenors..Brands from Kala Lanikai Pono Ohana and Kanilea. Can you tell just from sound which is all laminate, which is laminate solid top and which are all solid???? hmmmmm I Bet you will find it harder than you think. These are all strung with aquila all plain High g tuning and all are played in the same manner with no alteration to recordings......

First person to name all the construction correctly will win a free Kala Ka-t w case.....

.......... ;)

Last edited:
I listened once and then went to the statistical approach. Of course, you should use all available information to find the solution to the puzzle. That's not cheating. As far as the point of the contest, I got that from listening one time, and it was a valuable lesson...Aquila strings make a Kanile'a sound like a Mahalo:D Just kidding.

I think the lesson is: Taking into consideration for the sound quality of YT, there is not a huge difference in sound between laminate and solid wood, so don't turn your nose up at a uke just because it is not solid. Laminate is more durable, and cheaper, so hey, if you like the looks of it, then go for it. No need to go months ukeless while your saving up for a Kamaka, get a uke that is within your means, or get a couple differnent cheaper ukes, no matter... just get a uke and enjoy!

(but you're still gonna get more girls playing a Kamaka....:nana:)

Top Bottom