First Look at the new Riptide Ukuleles

Hmmm. Intriguing - not a new idea, but interesting that someone wants to do it commercially with ukes. I've seen it on custom ukes before.

However, the front soundhole seems rather small. One of the points of having a soundhole at all is for the low frequency generated by the Helmholtz resonance to add to the mix. Small amount in a uke, I understand, but still present and contributes to the richness of the sound.

As I understand the physics, the hole has to be a particular size to create a sound at a particular pitch - and the smaller the hole the higher the pitch. That suggests to me this uke's soundhole will generate a higher resonance comared with other brands and wider holes.

Have to hear it, of course, in side-by-side comparison (which I probably will since you set off my UAS again, damn it!).

The top hole complicates the model, too, since it allows sound to exit at 90 degrees from the strings, but may dampen the HR factor considerably since there isn't a lot of air to move inside to begin with. Perhaps that's why the front is so small.

But the top hole does allow the player to hear the instrument in a new way - some of that exta volume you hear may not be an actual increase in output - but rather the sound emerging from the top. Perceived rather than actual.

Of course, more wood doesn't mean more tone or volume. In my experience, archtops are actually more muted than standard guitars. I've heard the same here about archtop ukes.

Also interested in the bracing pattern of the soundboard. That much extra wood vibrating would lead to a very different model for sound production. More complex tones and potentially larger dead zones. Love to see what's under the hood!

Wow those are really ugly. Hurts my eyes to see those ukes. But maybe the sound makes up for it.

Wow those are really ugly. Hurts my eyes to see those ukes. But maybe the sound makes up for it.

I think they're kind of cool lookin'. Eye of the beholder and all that good rot.

...It very well could just be I have sensitive ears though because I don't see any other BC guitar player complaining about that...

Rayan, my man, I think you've got it wrong here. It's not that your ears are more sensitive, it's that you just rock that much harder than the other BC players :)

Very cool - but I hope they offer a model without the "Riptide" text on the soundboard...

Is that an inlay?

I'm not a fan of overly large company branding on my stuff.

Recommended ukulele by cup size:
A = Soprano
B= Concert
C= Tenor
D = Baritone
DD = Forget about it, I'll play for you!! :D

Oh No you dinit! Your lookin to get yourself in a whole mess of trouble ukulelejj ;) BtW sopranos fit quite nicely right on top, think of em as a kind of uke holder. :p

Very cool - but I hope they offer a model without the "Riptide" text on the soundboard...

Is that an inlay?

I'm not a fan of overly large company branding on my stuff.

The huge riptide is very off putting, I might like them without it. Personally, I am a fan of the tradional shapes/sound hole positions. These new fangaled things aren't my cuppa tea

Weird place for a side port. Seems like the sound would go in your arm pit.
At least you wouldn't have to worry about sweat stains on the uke. (In the uke, maybe.)

mmm that all blonde one is tits (no pun intended considering where this thread has veered off to). wonder how much they'll be retailing for.

ichad - boulder creek has a website. they show their bracing for their guitars there. but it doesnt look like a system that would benefit the size of the ukulele, using those suspended beams like that.

rayan - what happened to the taylor? how is it busted? can i have it? :smileybounce:

These look pretty cool, and I've heard decent things about their guitars and the side sound hole. However, like Grumpy, I am not fond of the "Riptide" on the soundboard. It's just tacky to me. Without it, they would be beautiful instruments.

It's give or take on the overall design. Personal choice and all that.

I'm wondering if a player could use some sort of blocking/tuning plug on the sound holes and adjust for different conditions, songs, etc. Since the holes are not covered by strings, the design could allow for some interesting sound possibilities with little effort.

I completely agree. So so pretty minus that glaring logo. If it were on the fretboard even I don't think I would've minded... but right in the middle? Kills it.

I think I left my taylor in the trunk 1 too many times. the pickups fell off. I need to send it back to SD to get it fixed.

I emailed Boulder Creek and got a reply from Mike, VP of product development. Ukes are due this fall - samples coming in for testing and tewaking this month. Prices expected to range from $99 to $350. Mikes says, "Many of them come with a great preamp and tuner built in for live and studio work."

I'm going to get one, assuming they're solid wood. I've been giving serious thought to an archtop of late, and while not quite the same, this will probably fill the need.

He sent me some images, many the same as what he sent Rayan, but here's another couple to consider.​

Attachments

• EUC-5GS.jpg
    EUC-5GS.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 17
  • TBA-Cabo sunset.jpg
    TBA-Cabo sunset.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 19
Top Bottom