Season 631: I Mist You

thank you all for another great day! 🙂
some fantastic originals, excellent covers,
a few songs i'd never heard of and of course,
i enjoy everyone's weather reports. cheers all for making this week,
thus far, such a joy. eh Snoopy...
🌻

snoopy -what he thinks of rain.jpg

Is this where I upload the fine fragrance of my fabulous feet?

Hello folks. Sorry I went quiet - I had a gig and it sort of took over my life for a while.

Here's a quickie - "On the Sunny Side of the Street". First day of spring yesterday, so I thought it was appropriate.

One take, warts and all. Can you tell the resonator uke has a slightly longer body than the uke I'm used to playing with a kazoo? My mate fixed it last week, I'm so excited to have it back.

Is this where I upload the fine fragrance of my fabulous feet?

Since Jon appointed me to be the judge of the odours emanating from the feet of this seasons seasonistas , I felt obliged to listen to this entry... but being unqualified for the judging, I cannot pass a verdict on this submission.

I could have been a judge but I didn't have the Latin for it. You need the Latin for the judging... the judging exams are rigorous, they are noted for their rigor. Some people stumble out of the judging exams exclaiming by God that was rigorous.

once a hat i was wearing got blown away by a sudden gust of wind and landed right in a big drain of dirty water. a man offered to retrieve it for me. i looked at the muddy water and i looked at the man with his clean clothes and i looked at the hat and i shook my head.

you know those hats that will NEVER GET BLOWN AWAY BY THE WIND? they either have a cord or are so fitting that they give you HAT HAIR. THAT HALO AROUND YOUR HAIR FROM SECURE HAT WEARING. (That is, if you have hair. )

some hats give you hat hair. An original songlet.

Here’s an original song. I started writing it a week or two back and was hoping for a season to come along that it would fit. In the end I changed a line of the lyrics so that it would work for this week’s theme, and it’s actually an improvement on what went before, so I’m very happy about that. And I’m very happy with the whole thing tbh - I think it’s one of my best in a good while. YOLO everyone!

Lyrics

As far as we know we live this life just one time,
We’ve just one chance to find the things we need;
Time can be our dearest friend but time still takes us to the end -
So please don’t compromise, open up those pretty eyes,
Don’t run away from the things you really need.

YOLO - I said YOLO,
It’s just a four letter abbreviation,
An acronym that fills me with desperation.

Y is for YOU, O is for ONLY, L is for LIVE, and O is for ONCE;
There’s only one chance to get it right -
Open up those beautiful eyes and see my light.

You only live once, you only live once,

Sometimes you just have to grab an opportunity,
A chance to be happy, to be with the person you need;
Circumstances can be changed and situations rearranged,
So don’t deprive me of you, and don’t deprive you of me,
Don’t deprive us both of the one we really need.

YOLO - I said YOLO,
It’s just a four letter abbreviation,
An acronym that fills me with desperation.

You only live once, you only live once,

(Repeat chorus to end)

Last edited:
Seminole Wind by one of my musical heroes, Florida native John Anderson.

Thanks for hosting, Jon!

Fun fact: During his first onstage appearance at The Grand Ole Opry in the early 1980’s, John surprised the crowd by saying this was actually not his first appearance. Over a decade earlier, while playing honky tonk gigs at night, he’d worked day jobs in construction and had been part of a crew hired to repair the Opry House roof.

Gotta love that guy!

Last edited:
Hi Jon, & thanks for hosting! First song I thought of when I saw your theme. I've spent all week trying to learn the guitar parts, but I only got as far as the introduction! :)

Also the first one that came to my mind. You did it far better than I would have.

Hello, yet again, Jon! This will DEFINITELY be the last time I turn up! Truth is, that I have a whole lot of stuff I should be doing and it is SO much easier to procrastinate with yet another "weather song" ... and there are so many of them! Anyway, I have a feeling that this one is the first song I thought of for your theme, and since no one else has done it, I couldn't resist giving it a go. (I have never personally witnessed this phenomenon but, should there be a weather warning to this effect, I'll be sure to leave an upturned umbrella outside ... you never know!) WARNING: This is VERY silly and includes some rather loud sound effects! (P.S. Rob, there are feet involved and your judgement is required ... Latin is not obligatory in this instance.)

Last edited:
Here is a cover of "Running To Stand Still" by U2 for this season. I've played it on guitar, and this season's theme was a good prod to learn to play it on ukulele, so thank-you to our host for that. This song has a few weather references - "driving rain", "black belly of cloud in the rain", and storm.

I'm playing my new Kala Elite 1KOA-T tenor for the first time in this video. It was made in 2018 and listed as "used", but it looks absolutely brand new to me. I'm really liking the slightly wider neck, it's surprising how much of a difference 3mm of extra space can make!

Since Jon appointed me to be the judge of the odours emanating from the feet of this seasons seasonistas , I felt obliged to listen to this entry... but being unqualified for the judging, I cannot pass a verdict on this submission.

I could have been a judge but I didn't have the Latin for it. You need the Latin for the judging... the judging exams are rigorous, they are noted for their rigor. Some people stumble out of the judging exams exclaiming by God that was rigorous.
lmfao :ROFLMAO:

This song mentions sunshine, rain, and a cyclone. The box of flowers in the cover art has the words on it, "Ain't That a Grand and Glorious Feeling." That's the title of another happy love song from the same year and same publishing company as this song. The performer pictured on the cover is Johnny Marvin, another old-time ukulele hero who might be worth your time to look up and learn about and listen to. I made an informational video about him that I'll put below, if anyone is interested.

Here's a little slice-of-life song that I wrote last month. I had the idea while I was standing at the bus stop in the rain, and the song is about standing in the bus stop in the rain. That is how I came up with the title of the song, which is "standing at the bus stop in the rain". Funnily enough, this morning, I was humming it to myself while I was... oh, you get the idea.

There's an overdubbed tenor and harmonica here.

I decided to do the song ‘I Can See Clearly Now’, however, I took some liberties with the melody. All the photos are originals, taken by my husband and I at Bodega Bay. I am playing my Baritone Ukulele.
I choose photos that I took at Bodega Bay over the years, because it is my most beloved place in the world to be, and at the ocean, the weather can change dramatically in a matter of minutes, so although I have been to Bodega hundreds of times over the years, it is always new, mysterious, and sacred.

And for the weather today in Northern California, today was beautiful and sunny, in the high 60’s with sunny skies and a slight breeze. Tomorrow, rain is expected.

I can see clearly now always reminds me of the early 90s. That song was constantly on the radio in '93 / '94.

Anyway, I might have something for this season. I've been procrastinating, but I did start practicing my possible entry this evening. So who knows? I'll give it a shot tomorrow

Top Bottom