Season 368 - N O spells no

Hi, Brian ... and thanks for the week! I am sure that, having heard the definitive Russian version of "Yes, We Have No Bananas", the last thing you need is yet another - and less definitive - rendering. However, this was the first song which came to mind for this week's theme and I was already "working" on it when Robski posted his splendid offering ... and I can't do the second song I thought of yet as I am losing my voice; so, I hope you will forgive me! Actually, I was intrigued to discover the origins of this masterpiece - I had always assumed that it came from a Second World War Britain (where there were, indeed, no bananas.) To find out that it had been written some twenty years earlier by two Americans came as a surprise, and, then, again, to discover that its actual beginnings were in Russia was even more astonishing. However, I am assured by the Great Robski that, so long as all royalties go to the cultivation of bananas in Siberia (???), repetitions are acceptable. AND I HAVE FOUND EXTRA VERSES!!!

Thank you for a great week, Brian, and for all you do to keep this ragtag band together.

Here's one I thought would be snapped up immediately. Unless it has been ... But I digress.

First outing on my guitalele although I used baritone uke for some simple melody lines. I was noodling around with a simple chord progression yesterday and this song came to me fairly quickly, I wish it worked out like that all the time.
I've posted the lyrics and chords in the description box on YT, it's probably not easy to hear what I'm singing, I ain't the loudest singer around.
Thank you to our host for providing the inspiration on this one.

Ahoy hoy
I found a 'no' song. Here is Beck's Pay No Mind (Snoozer)
It always seems that Beck can help me when I am having troubles finding songs.

A sad song about desertion and lactose intolerance ... the protagonist has lost his love, who has abandoned him and his "two up, two down", and, since he is unable to drink milk himself, he is forced to leave out a note for the milkman, the significance of which will be lost on passers-by! (Sorry, Brian, my voice is still a bit lacking!) The song comes from a time when milk was still delivered direct to your door in glass bottles.

I haven't done a combo video in awhile, so here's one I slapped together quick using dulcimer, ukulele and mandolin. This is a song Roy Acuff did, but there's a tie in to the first song I did this week, as Bill Carlisle co-wrote this one.

this, an original song for the season.
thanks to joojoo for her beautiful art and making a short film for this song.

BETWEEN YES & NO

I've always been a yes man
You've never been too good at saying no
But that doesn't really matter
We know how to scatter
Our words into the air like falling winter snow
So I turned to you, I asked you a question:
"Are you really feeling OK?"
But you weren't ready for the question
So you didn't have an answer -
You didn't know what to say

You've always been so agreeable
And I don't like to disagree
We tiptoe around the spaces of a conversation
Like a fuel gauge stuck in between F & E
From the passenger seat you turn to me
And you smile your pretty smile
As the planes above us circle with nowhere to land
You don't know how to say no
And I'm a yes man

Last edited:
I've been pretty sick for the past week with the flu. Tonight was the third straight night I tried to video this song. Sunday I didn't have enough of my voice back yet. Last night, I thought I'd done it, but the video was all blurry. So, anyway, this is a Michael Penn song that was a hit 30 years ago.

Today’s offering, a poly-syllabic romp through dystopia with everyone’s favorite Punk Rock PhD.
No Control- Bad Religion

this, a live cross-continental improvisation kev and I recorded today
inspired by this series of mindblowing sketches that joo made,
all in the past 24 hours. crazy huh.

Don't have the tight satin pants like Rod but I thought I would give this a try.

Top Bottom