Kamaka and Kamaka

I also like #2 a nice looking instrument. There is something to be said about a instument that is also very pleasing to the eye.

Kamaka #2 it is for me - leaning against a rock doesn't help!

Not only against a rock, but in the *sand*. It's kind of hurting my Kamaka-obsessed heart.

Hey Omega, one thing I just noticed - the not-in-the-sand photos look like they're from the Elderly site. If so, at the bottom of each page there is often a little "Exact appearance of new instruments may vary" disclaimer - so, it's possible that what you get won't look the same. Just a thought.

Hey Omega, one thing I just noticed - the not-in-the-sand photos look like they're from the Elderly site. If so, at the bottom of each page there is often a little "Exact appearance of new instruments may vary" disclaimer - so, it's possible that what you get won't look the same. Just a thought.

On this site said "Photo is of the actual ukulele!" on this one.
http://ukuleleacademy.bigcartel.com/product/kamaka-hf-3-tenor-size-solid-koa-ukulele

Thanks for pointing that out though ;-)

Elderly has a good Uke guy named Ben. Ask him if it is the same instrument in the picture. Elderly is great company to deal with.

You can't go wrong with a Kamaka.....or any "K" uke. Call the shop or the person selling the uke and see if they can send you actual pics of the uke. If they can, just pick out the grain pattern that you like.

I would never buy a Kamaka, nor any other 'uke this costly, without playing it first. Even Kamakas vary in nature. IMO, we're at the peak of 'ukelele prices with the current 'uke mania, so you'd better be sure.

I would never buy a Kamaka, nor any other 'uke this costly, without playing it first. Even Kamakas vary in nature. IMO, we're at the peak of 'ukelele prices with the current 'uke mania, so you'd better be sure.

The peak, would be Moore Bettah ukes :p

I'm definitely in the minority on this one, but I actually prefer the first one. But I'm a sucker for the less straight grain patterns. I agree, most people say the straight grain will sound better (in which case choose #2) but I figure I'm not a good enough player to make the difference matter, so I usually opt for the more visually appealing one...and to me, that is the first one. Either way though, enjoy it greatly, and as a Kamaka enthusiast, I can honestly say mine is my prized possession. I'm sure you will love yours too!

I'm definitely in the minority on this one, but I actually prefer the first one. But I'm a sucker for the less straight grain patterns. I agree, most people say the straight grain will sound better (in which case choose #2) but I figure I'm not a good enough player to make the difference matter, so I usually opt for the more visually appealing one...and to me, that is the first one. Either way though, enjoy it greatly, and as a Kamaka enthusiast, I can honestly say mine is my prized possession. I'm sure you will love yours too!

Do you prefer the Kamaka over the KoAloha?

Do you prefer the Kamaka over the KoAloha?

Yes, I do...but it isn't a fair comparison. My KoAloha is a Pineapple Sunday, not a tenor. So it is great sounding, but harder for me to play and the sound is not very versatile. If I had a pure test it would have to be a KoAloha tenor vs. my Kamaka tenor. But to be honest with you, I'm not willing to buy a KoAloha tenor without the crown bridge style, and those are tough to come by, so I may never get to do a real side by side comparison. But I do love my Kamaka dearly, and it isn't even a contest between it and my Kanile'a.

How about this. If you buy the first one, it will sound better than the second one because you will not have heard the second one. However, if you take the second one, it will sound better than the first one because you wil not have heard the first one. The clincher is that either one will sound better than any other brand. You've got a win/win situation. You can't make a mistake. Buy one and enjoy.

You won't go wrong with Kamaka. They are a joy to play. Personally, I buy ukes that look AND sound good to me. I cannot differentiate a significant difference in sound between straight grain vs curly grain. Whichever one you buy, you'll be very happy.

it's a bit like offering someone a million bucks, and then saying "would it be OK if I just gave you 900,000"...

wait wait wait..

essentially, these are Kamaka hf-3's, but look significantly different? And would sound different? ha ha, and here I thought, they would all sound and look the same... well, I knew they would sound a tad different, however, I didn't know they changed in colour so much..

argh...

I like the looks of the first one. The second looks very nice, but not as unique as I would want. That being said, either would be great

I talked to the local guitar shop, they had ordered 3 models of Kamaka including HF-3 but no ETA yet from Kamaka. I think I take y'all advise on "seeing it in person is the best way".
Thank you very much for all of the input.
Tom :eek:

i was just at kents shop, ukulele academy, the first uke picture...i LOVE his shop and go whenever i am in town and he is an awesome guy to deal with. i have 5 ukes and bought all of them from him and he is always happy to help if you have any questions via email or phone. he is always my first stop for my ukulele needs. i did see the kamakas there and fooled around with them a little bit...the sure are pretty and sound great too.

Top Bottom