Season 576 - "Dirty Dancing"

I edited my title. I couldn't bear to have it wrong :). (I must have got it from an unreliable source... I'm usually a stickler for these details!)
I haven’t changed mine - the need to be accurate (for I, too, have certain pedantic tendencies!) is superseded by the mischievous desire to further annoy Mr Fergus by not pandering to his pedantry! 🤓🤪

I haven’t changed mine - the need to be accurate (for I, too, have certain pedantic tendencies!) is superseded by the mischievous desire to further annoy Mr Fergus by not pandering to his pedantry! 🤓🤪
😇 As soon as Edwin changed his I thought, "Del won't." 🤣

(This is the continuation of the scene where Baby visits Johnny in his cabin to apologise for her father's behaviour towards Johnny earlier in the day.)
Baby gives a most sincere and impassioned statement about her feelings for Johnny as she and Johnny talk over the situation. Finally, Baby rises from her chair and asks Johnny to dance with her. "What, here?" is Johnny's stammered reply. But as the music rises, they begin to dance together in the soft light of his cabin.

That was the summer of 1963, when everybody called me "Baby" and it didn't occur to me to mind.

That was before President Kennedy was shot, before the Beatles came, when I couldn't wait to join the Peace Corps, and I thought I'd never find a guy as great as my dad.

That was the summer we went to Kellerman's....

I'm quite Fonda our host. I'm honored to contribute.

Dirty Dancing part eight

Somehow our intrepid group of movie makers were getting the job done. There were lots of strange setbacks and workarounds that happened on the set. One was that Kelly Bishop, originally cast for the role of Vivian Pressman (the 'bungalow bunny',) had to take over the role of the mother character, Marjorie Houseman when the original actor cast for the part fell ill. The role of Vivian went to Patrick Swayze's dance coach, Miranda Garrison. Garrison was also assistant choreographer for the movie, so she wore three hats during the production. Both Bishop and Garrison fit their newly assigned roles to a 'T.'

There were a few accidents with crew falling off of ladders and some broken bones, but it all seems par for the course when you are working on the set of a low-budget movie. They had more problems with rain. They did the interior scenes for the Kellerman lodge while waiting for the weather to clear. But by mid-September, when they finally did get a chance to finish the exterior scenes, they found that the leaves on the trees had begun to change colour to reds, oranges, and yellows instead of 'summer green.' They did what they could and spray painted the fall foliage green again.

By September 20, 1986, they had wrapped up shooting at 'Kellerman's Mountain Lodge' in Virginia and moved the cast and crew to their second location at Lake Lure, North Carolina. It was there that they shot most of the 'staff quarters' scenes. There was a Boy Scouts camp at the lake and they used the cabins there as the staff quarters in the movie. The art department cleverly recreated pathways, fences, and lighting fixtures to make the place in Lake Lure look like the continuation of Kellerman's in Virginia.

In order to film the dance scenes held in the staff quarters, they tented over the cabins to simulate night. This made everything very hot and steamy which all translated well to the atmosphere of the movie. Some people were close to fainting while director Emile Ardalino went about painstakingly getting all the angles he needed to shoot to capture the energy of the dancing.

I also got the chronology wrong in that the scene on the log was filmed at Lake Lure. It was there that Patric Swayze fell from the log several times, aggravating his knee injury. He was taken to a doctor to have fluid drained from his knee. It is difficult to tell by the literature and the movie as to what scenes where filmed where. They do a great job in editing so that only experts familiar with the two locations can identify things like a car driving around a corner at the Virginia location which suddenly ends up in North Carolina.

By October 27, 1986 they had managed to wrap up all the filming. Ten months later, on August 21, 1987, Dirty Dancing premiered in theatres.

Last edited:
I hereby declare you an honorary Englishman, Christopher! :)
I stopped fighting my autocorrect function a long time ago. S/he is the one who insists on always using The King's English.

Last edited:
Filling in with a few last minute tunes. Hopefully there will be more 11th hour submissions.

My clock says 11:59 Honolulu time. So here is one final song for the season:

Dirty Dancing part nine

I have enjoyed the deep dive I took into the making of this movie. There are many interesting and incredible stories surrounding this film. I have to say that some of these stories are true whereas others are outright fabrications. It is a little hard to dissect truth from fiction because the two people most involved with the entire process and its legacy, Eleanor Bernstein and Linda Gottlieb, seem to want to keep an air of myth and mystery surrounding this story. I have taken a lot from their statements from articles and interviews written about the making of Dirty Dancing, but I did not take them wholesale, because I sensed that some of their stories were over-embellished.

There are many other articles that are eager to repeat incredible stories that make for exciting narratives but which seemed to lack plausibility. I didn't want to fall into that trap and repeat these stories here, adding to the problem, but there is probably too much that I have written already which is not completely factual.

That said, I think it was kind of a miracle that the movie was made and that it entertained and inspired so many people around the world. Here in Zurich, Switzerland, there is to be a stage production of the story which will have a run at a local theatre for the entire month of April. This is a story with legs; dancing and otherwise!

Top Bottom