140th Season of the Ukulele: What's New Pussycat?

So when I saw this Season's theme, the 1st songs I thought of were Everybody Wants to be a Cat and Stray Cat Strut. People beat me to them. So I looked around and saw that Cat Power had a version of Sea of Love and now that's been done. I better record something quick before I run out of ideas!

Feral cats are a huge environmental problem in Australia.
They, along with foxes (and rabbits) have been responsible for the highest number of mammal extinctions of any other continent.
In a hope to reintroduce some very endangered species of birds and small mammals they completely fenced off the Peron Pennisula in WA.
They then proceded to bait and systematically trap all the feral cats and foxes that lived there. This took many years and is on going.
At the only road gate they have a system of grids and if any movement is detected the "gate" barks loudly in the hope of deterring entry by said cats and foxes.
You may have heard of this place as they have daily visits by wild dolphins (well they feed them) at Monkey Mia (on Shark Bay and on the penninsula).
(I've been there and they chose me to feed one of the dolphins.)
Here is a vid of the barking gate (not mine) - the gate is on the last 20 seconds or so.
Hmmm, do they feed them the cats and foxes? Oooo, bad, bad joke. Guess I'll just go out to the doghouse!

So when I saw this Season's theme, the 1st songs I thought of were Everybody Wants to be a Cat and Stray Cat Strut. People beat me to them. So I looked around and saw that Cat Power had a version of Sea of Love and now that's been done. I better record something quick before I run out of ideas!

Hey, man, do 'em all three! Duplicates welcome. Your style can handle it.

Hey there hepcats

I spent what little free time I've had this week trying to learn this deceptively difficult tune, and looking for a key that I could sing it in.
It's by Robyn Hitchcock, and is one of his first quiet and romantic kind of tunes...The Leopard. The original is helped along by slide guitar, fretless Bass, a keyboard and backup singers. Mine could use a little help, oh well. It was a good learning song, hard to sing and with an unusual chord progression.

http://youtu.be/kRmcJyGhQ4o

I am looking forward to rolling around in the catbox, and commenting on your contributions

I will have more comments and a couple of cat videos to share tomorrow. Keep up the good work, cats and kittens.

I've been trying to CATchup on this Season but it's just like that darn lazer, just when you think you've got it..........

^^
• •
>♥<
O

I had a couple of ideas for my next song. I considered "You Can leave Your Cat On" the great Randy Newman song, and "Lion Eyes" by the Eagles. Does anyone have any similar ideas?
In the end I opted for this one, which I hadn't heard before.
I'm sure some of you (most of you?) are familiar with Eric Bogle's anti-war song "No Man's Land" sometimes known as "Willy MacBride", or "The Green Fields Of France". Well, Eric wrote another song called "He's Nobody's Moggy Now", about an unfortunate cat that was hit by a truck. A moggy, of course, is an English name for a cat.
I was going to try "Nobody's Moggy", but I stumbled across this other one which is about Eric's original moggy, but set to the tune of "No Man's Land".

Apologies to all the cat lovers out there

Call in to see my brother (pabrizzer) to tell him about our exciting recent trip to Europe and our Mediteranen cruise and he gets out the ukes and says do this song. So we did. Both reading the lyrics and chord sheet and first take after 3 run throughs.
Rough and ready in other words - Sad Lisa by the artist known then as CAT Stevens.

Posted by me so he can do another vid if he gets the urge - sheesh!
Had a great day with Berni in Spain - thanks Berni.

… not equal time but ...

Cats and Dogs by The Head and The Heart, an alt-folk jangle-pop group, which is kinda like toe-tapping modern folk music. Or something.
I like it.
I added one track to the monotonous simple bari strum and was going to try to add some pseudo bass from guitar, and a bit of percussion, but, after several different variations in settings, I couldn't keep YouTube from eating what I tried.
They often do this song paired with another immediately following (Coeur d'Alene).

Top Bottom