Season 261 of the Ukulele.

Another Baritone in the kitchen from The Sunburst Singers. After a bit of a rocky start. I think Gary and I need to work out a better way to record, our voices aren't very balance with the Uke's.

Sorry I'm late gang (more on that later)- what an evening of song you have provided for me! Tonight has seen the return of more folks that have not been here for a while, the necessary addition of Linda Louden, some beautiful instrumentals…and more smiles than you could imagine. We are at 39 videos, so I want to thank you all for making this time around a whole lot better. My musings for this evening:
Tomcat Wombat and Pa- Where do I begin here? First, this is a FANTASTIC song, definitely enhanced by your contributions here. The low tech vibe, excellent choices in additional instrumentation and obvious fun being had make this a more than memorable bit of music here. Well done, and thank you for bringing us this.
Harry 122 I don’t know how you manage to get this stuff all together, but it sure makes me smile when you do! Another excellent contribution to add to your credit…and man, I can barely strum and sing- is that cat really playing a trumpet and drumming at the same time? Excellent stuff here- Thank you!
Mythinformed – Simply stunning instrumental treatment of this tune here, very well done indeed. And with the addition of a furry friendly pal at your side, which is how I have played every song I have ever played, elevates the happiness here. Thanks for playing this for us.
Turtledrum and Kolibri uker WHAT A BEAUTIFUL SONG! Thanks you both for my introduction to it. Perfect collaboration here, wonderfully delivered. Huge smile here in the "Dale. Thanks for bringing this
Hochapeafarm and Mike F- YES! First, thanks guys for coming back for the party...it means the world to me as I have missed you both. Second, this is FANTASTIC. Couple of my favorite ukers from Seasons past taking a song and totally hitting it out of the park. gonna be a while before this silly smile is off my face. Excellent work here guys. Solid gold.
Joo and Pancho Love this guys. A sonic highway straight outta here and off to a better place for sure. Thanks for playing one for me Joo and Pancho. This is a fantastic bit of improvisational uking that will not soon be forgotten. Excellent work here. We will get to that other I am sure, for now...I got my uke and I know where G is ;)- Lefty
Ukuleledaddy and Linda Louden- Remember that time two of your favorite folks on your internet refuge from the world played one of your favorite songs ever? I do. You know me- I am a sentimental fool... and this one hit me right there. What a beautiful job you guys have done right here. Totally beside myself. Thanks for bringing this. I love it.
Tommy and Alan DP Hahahahahaha! Alan...not sure if you know how I feel about Bob Wills, but I absolutely adore this. What a hoot! Just perfect. You tell 'em Tommy! Tommy- excellent song here as always!
JackLuis- The two Baritone voices just make this song! Excellent sounds coming from the kitchen (my favorite place to play) and a fantastic version of this classic for us. I went and got my uke and played along...Yipee Ki-ya....Thanks for bringing this and welcome to the seasons Gary!
Bonesigh and Steve This is such a beautiful song...and you guys really delivered it. Got a late start on today's submissions but I know exactly what will be playing in my head as I crawl into bed- absolutely wonderful to listen too...and the bonus of how much fun is clearly being had makes this very special. Thanks for playing it for us.
JackLuis – I think the voices balance perfectly with the ukes here. Another fantastic addition to the season gentlemen! Thanks for playing it for us. Your fans demand more!

Something so special about all these collaborations...can't thank you enough for bringing them.

<TCK> I grew up constantly surrounded by music. My mom always had the radio going and a sing-a-long was ever present, and dad was constantly in his den playing his steel guitar.
As a kid, I wanted no part of music. Could have been the recorder they handed me that could not make a pleasant sound... could have just been my attitude, but I always stood in awe of pops playing that pedal steel guitar. It was so complicated- I would sneak into the den when he was not home and just try and figure out how it worked.
Fast-forward to today. There are so many instruments in this tiny house that it is laughable. I play about three hours every day, and I have six ukes at school as well...for impromptu uke jams like the one my boss walked in on yesterday ("For science!" My well trained eight graders immediately said...). Playing music is just what I do when I get home.
For dad it is different. He all but stopped playing about 15 years ago. The fact that I play all the time has gotten him interested briefly...but he has played in what is now three seasons.
I suppose I am getting to learn how he does things. He has to learn the melody before he even plays a note, which is weird to me. He explained that because he cannot sing that is how he sorts timing and stuff out. Me? I play a song twice and say "lets make a video!" Our approach is very different.
So I guess I have to slow down a little. Easy enough.
He said that tonight was the most he has played in years, and he left one of his Dobro's here (and away we go down a new rabbit hole) so I reckon we will be doing this more often. I hope we will be doing this more often.
We played this song for HOURS...but the entire thing was a pleasure. It is in C which I can't sing in anymore, but who cares. I got to play with dad. I hope you all like it. </TCK>

As a kid, I wanted no part of music. Could have been the recorder they handed me that could not make a pleasant sound...
Lol, They just gave one to Evie at school. I'll see if I can get her to play a solo in our next vid together.

One of my old school mates remembers me blowing about three notes on one of those, lifting my hinged desk top, placing it against the metal, and using my desk top to smash it. Best part of the story is he remembers me doing it about five times before my parents stopped paying for new ones. I spent most of music class drawing. That said- Pa used on quite effectively in one of his mroe recent videos....I think he may have sold his soul.
Lol, They just gave one to Evie at school. I'll see if I can get her to play a solo in our next vid together.

One of my old school mates remembers me blowing about three notes on one of those, lifting my hinged desk top, placing it against the metal, and using my desk top to smash it. Best part of the story is he remembers me doing it about five times before my parents stopped paying for new ones. I spent most of music class drawing. That said- Pa used on quite effectively in one of his mroe recent videos....I think he may have sold his soul.

I loved the recorder at school but there was no music at the Grammar School I went to and I neglected it until my daughters started at school and I've been playing it ever since.

The soprano recorder that most kids are started on is not the easiest of instruments to play well it needs - very good breath control to stay in tune - but it's a good size for small hands which is why so many people don't like the recorder. Young kids tend to blow too hard and haven't yet learnt to listen properly so a group of them is only ever approximately tune which jars peoples ears. Played properly it's a great instrument and you can produce great music with them. I mostly play the larger sizes, primarily tenor and bass.

I shan't get anything else done this week as I'm off for a weekend at a lovely part of the country - in the middle of England close to the Roman Wall, playing ukulele with many others. I went this time last year and it was a great weekend. Much looking forward to it.

When I acquired my first ukulele (quite a while ago now!), I joined the Ukulele Underground and my first - in fact, my ONLY friend for a while! - was Jon. And, eventually, he actually persuaded me to pick up said uke and attempt to play it. So, here from one of my favourite Seasonistas is one of my favourite songs (with my feeble efforts in the background). Thanks so much for all your encouragement, Jon!

The soprano recorder that most kids are started on is not the easiest of instruments to play well it needs - very good breath control to stay in tune - but it's a good size for small hands which is why so many people don't like the recorder. Young kids tend to blow too hard and haven't yet learnt to listen properly so a group of them is only ever approximately tune which jars peoples ears. Played properly it's a great instrument and you can produce great music with them. I mostly play the larger sizes, primarily tenor and bass.
I agree. And, at least in the UK, the ukulele (of all things!!), is rapidly replacing the recorder as an instrument to give to children.

But, if anyone's interested in how a recorder, (I think she's playing a soprano?), can sound in the hands of an expert.....

First entry: Overwhelm the host with sheer numbers. Here's our jam last night channeling some Arlo. About six other players were out of range of the video. My next camera will handle panoramic stuff. We had three bass players last night (two U-basses and a Fender). Great group.

I agree. And, at least in the UK, the ukulele (of all things!!), is rapidly replacing the recorder as an instrument to give to children.

But, if anyone's interested in how a recorder, (I think she's playing a soprano?), can sound in the hands of an expert.....

She's playing a Sopranino.
And there's a smaller one called the garklein or sopranissimo.

Thanks for the theme, TCK. This, and uke4ia's early post, gave us the opportunity to work together again, which was great.

Greetings,

After selecting my sweet little Gretch for this collab with Tommy, I tried to make it interesting with filters. Believe it or not, I made a movie on my other computer but after 4 hours it would not upload. Gotta check settings. This one works, although recorded on the ipad.

Ciao,
Gina

I was afraid that we couldn't find time for this but I have a song or to from our local songwriters open mic.

Thanks Dave and all!

Here's another one from the same set as the one below. It's a work in progress that Terri wrote. Almost there, I think:

Well, it's been 138 Seasons since I posted a video, but here it is.... Eli, the Barrow Boy, by The Decemberists. My daughter, Mia, has been working on this one, I think she's just about got it....

Hahahaha- You folks are great. This is sure a far cry from the flutophone they handed me. It was right after the injustice of being forced to square dance...I suppose the flutophone was something I thought I could pull off. It was my one chance at being a stand-out... 3 notes, hopes dashed. Off to my corner to rack back and forth.
This is a stunning piece here. The high notes get me little as I prefer a deeper register, but it sounds like so many of my beloved birds singing together, much like we will hear when the rain stops ;)

<TCK> When I first started playing (terribly) there were four people who really stand out as the folks that continually encouraged me (never a good idea), gave me insight...played songs that inspired me, and now you have met all four. That is not to devalue in any way the collaborations we have had thus far, only to point out that some folks that were instrumental in my history here have made it to this party, some after long absence, and that makes me think about the gravity of responsibility going forward. Encouragement is key folks, because really, as Alan's signature says "It's the songs, isn't it?"
It is.
Anyway- Thanks to Bill, Alan, Davey and Jon for creating a monster, and thank the rest of you for being such a part of what amuses me and inspires me every week.
My musings for today...so far:
LimousineLil- Not only is this one of my favorite Linda Ronstadt songs...but it is one of my ALL TIME FAVORITE SONGS EVER!!! I've played it, Ive talked people into playing it, you guys are playing it...I think everyone should play it because it is just a dang good song. This is fantastic stuff here, and I am sure the gentlemen is consenting. Thanks for bringing this!
Hendulele- The host is so darn pleased to be overwhelmed by numbers. I really wish I had the gall to join one of these...I lack the discipline for these perfectly syncopated strum patterns and perfectly timed vocal delivery. We have a big one in Santa Rosa...but I am content to watch. It really is a thing of beauty to see so many people getting so much joy out of something so small. This is stupendous Rick, thanks for playing it for us.
Greenie and Uk4ia-When I was a very young child, I wanted to be Evel Kneivel wen I grew up...or at least some sort of motorcycle stunt rider. This song has me smiling ear to ear. You gentlemen hit it out of the park- love the sound and the imagery. I'm gonna go sit on my bike and listen to this again. perfect. Thanks for bringing it!
Tommy and Gina- The first time I ever saw this type of collaboration, I think it was Ukeydave flipping up a screen and playing along with a song I had done. It added value to my effort, and a new dimension to what we were all doing. "Primitive" or not, this is still such a cool way to reach out. Really enjoyed this Gina, the two of you sounded great here- thanks for doing this one with Mr. Tommy for us!
Steve and Janet- Hi guys! Welcome back! Boy have you two picked a couple of FANTASTIC SONGS here- my head is exploding again. As always, well delivered...but the special part here is the contagious fun that you are obviously having. Thanks for playing these for us
Alan and Terri- I was getting kinda edgy...if you guys were not here I was gonna have a complete melt-down. A tantrum to end all tantrums... But you are here, so I will calm down and just enjoy this lovely song from two very special folks. Nice stuff here mate as always, Excellent lyrics. Send them if you would. I would like a crack at them. In any event- thanks and bless up mate. Made me smile.
But wait...there's more! Another excellent effort here. Lovely delivery once again and wonderful lyrics. I love nothing more than dancing in the kitchen, right in Melissa's way. Great stuff here guys! Also- thanks for coming back. Your support early on kept me playing, and the joy I have gotten from that is immeasurable.
Bill and Mia- Wait. Last time we saw Mia here she was like 6. This little dad and daughter excursion is first of all, exactly what I was hoping for. Second…in the early days, our banter kept me playing and improving, and I am so glad you are sharing that with Mia, and so glad you both played a tune for me.
Last- I love the Decemberists, and Mia…you have done a wonderful job here. Excellent song, brilliant execution (what a voice there huh?), and a shot right in the feels. This is AWESOME. Thanks guys.

Best Friday EVER. Was so happy to listen to you all this evening.

So- I guess someone made it OK for folks to post old collaborations ;). Now there are thousands of these...and I thank you for not posting them all, but there is one Seasonista I know who would post a song a day if she could this week.
Her collaborations are many, her support of what we do here and who we are is un-ending, her talent a force to be reckoned with, and her love of family a thing I admire greatly. If Linda was not sick, she would have already sent notes to all of you to play a song I know...so I went and found one I love and I am gonna post it, because that is how I roll. This is Linda and her sister Laurie playing one we all ought to hear.

Last edited:
Top Bottom