Season 638: Road signs

Love the theme, Dave! Per road signs (two- way traffic pattern resumes ahead) and all the discussion of armadillos, will the back side of Yowling Tom qualify me to play any song I want for 638? :ROFLMAO:
Besides the little armored one, Tom’s treble- side nautical flags should qualify as signs (semaphore) albeit for a whole different kind of road. They spell U-K-E.
View attachment 172406
I say "Go for it."

I suppose different countries have various unique signs where wildlife and roads collide( so to speak). Here we have “ Wombats Crossing”, “ Watch for Kangaroos”. Sometimes the sign is just the animal silhouette.
I think I have a Kinky Friedman novel set in Texas that has an “ Armadillo Crossing” sign on the cover.
Not a lot of songs about Wombats Crossing.
Heard they had "Speed humps" in the Amsterdam red light district

I volunteered with my local Greens party to go door knocking today, to drum up support for our candidate Andrew (2nd from left behind my in the video), and to invite neighbourhood folks to a weekly free dinner in the park.

Before we went off in pairs and singles to go knock on people's doors, most of the crew (there are 7 people behind me, though you can't see the back three as well as I'd hoped) agreed to make video with me - one take, zero rehearsal, in bright sun that didn't allow me to see the iPad very well, let alone have the gang all gather round it.

I thought this iconic Aussie classic (#26 on the Ozzest 100 - Aussiest songs of all time), "To Her Door" by Paul Kelly, was a perfect choice - for the day's activities as well as it contains "slow" and "streets", and is about both an actual and a metaphorical epic road trip.

Plus it unfolds like a movie, and ends on a cliffhanger, so seems a good fit for 637's "here and now" theme as well.

Turns out it's all verse and very little chorus, the gang couldn't see my iPad and didn't know the words, so there's only a little singing along. After I got home it occurred to me I could have had them look it up on their phones.

As Andrew's wife Mon implies at the end ... we can try another one at the community dinner on Thursday.

Hello, Dave ... and thanks for hosting! Your vehicle-related theme inspired me for the first time ever to make an in-car recording ... some irritating woman got into the backseat and started echoing everything I was singing, but I tried to pretend she wasn't there! I bring you an incredibly moving ditty - although, in fact, not actually moving because stuck at traffic lights - from Monty Python.

Joe Shields is better known for his Joe Cartoon on youtube but he is also a guitarist/singer, his songs are quirky as are his cartoons. Here he meets Jesus hitchhiking on the highway, an refuses to give him a lift three times, perhaps denying him like Peter.

Then when he crashes his truck in a ditch the devil pulls up and offers him a ride. Ain't that just the way, reject salvation and the next offer you get will lead you straight to hell.

Last edited:
Why Don't We Do do It In The Road is a Beatles song where Paul and the boys vocally riff on a repeating verse. They recorded 3 verses, but I only recorded 1, leaving room for anyone to add their verse. I'd love to have @acharman, @bobjking, @DelGriff, @Flatbaroque, @One Man And His Uke, @Threebird, and @UkeFoote add 1 verse. Don't overthink it. Just do it!

Record your verse In D at 188 BPM (the Beatles original key and tempo). You can record ukulele with your vocal, or just vocal (preffered for mix continuity). Here's a simple backing track with a 4 beat count-in, you can use to record your vocal.

View attachment why dont we do it in the road - backing track.m4a

PM your verse to me, and I'll string them together.

This song is in the can. Here's the final version

Last edited:
My favorite thing about wombats is that they have cube-shaped poop.

No, but there's this:

Which came about from a long YouTube comment conversation (or maybe it was in the forum?) between Rex and me about my favorite Aussie wombat joke and a far inferior, less funny, and muuuuuch longer version of the joke translated for non-Aussies, for whom the verb in the original joke does not mean what it means here.

The original joke:

Q: Why is an Australian man like a wombat?
A: Because he eats, roots***, and leaves.

*** <Look it up!>

The translated version involves, for some reason, a panda in a bar, and, unlike the wombat in the original, she does something no actual panda would do. (Which you can learn about from Rex's song, in the unlikely event you haven't already heard the inferior translated joke, which everyone outside Oz seems to have found uproariously funny, even though it makes no sense.)

A rare time when I’ve managed the old season and new season in one song trick!

Thanks for hosting.

Great theme, Dave! I was surprised to find I had a hard time coming up with something. But this one has been waiting for me to bang it into shape for a while now and it has the word "motorway" in it. That'll do!
I'll be back on last week's thread with a wrap up early next week. Thanks all!

Why Don't We Do do It In The Road is a Beatles song where Paul and the boys vocally riff on a repeating verse. They recorded 3 verses, but I only recorded 1, leaving room for anyone to add their verse. I'd love to have @acharman, @bobjking, @DelGriff, @Flatbaroque, @One Man And His Uke, @Threebird, and @UkeFoote add 1 verse. Don't overthink it. Just do it!

Record your verse In D at 188 BPM (the Beatles original key and tempo). You can record ukulele with your vocal, or just vocal (preffered for mix continuity). Here's a simple backing track with a 4 beat count-in, you can use to record your vocal.

View attachment 172443

PM your verse to me, and I'll string them together.

Not an entry for this Season but
from Season 65, 2013 &, funnily enough, from pretty much exactly this time of year 😁

Top Bottom