Season 263 Sun Record Artists

<TCK> I guess I should preface this by saying that if there were no long and protracted conversations to be had about music, than the need for Musicologists and even music enthusiasts would not be great. This is a very special song- one I don’t do justice, but had to play on that merit alone.
Originally recorded in March of 1951 and engineered by Sam Phillips at Sun Records, the record is credited to “Jackie Brenston and his Delta Cats”…No such thing. It is really Ike Turner and his Kings of Rhythm, the band for whom Brenston was the saxophone player.
Now I know that Ike Turner turned out to be a jerk, but he wrote and arranged a song at 19 years old that blended everything he could hear in jump blues, boogie woogie, swing and country into a sound that many believe was being heard for the first time. Of course the story has LONG been perpetuated by SUN (as their “birthplace of Rock and Roll slogan”) but it really is a special record.
Of course there are lots of other songs that have characteristics like this one. In fact, there are two are three that clearly directly influenced it…but this was it.
Incidentally it is also the first time “fuzz tone” or distorted guitar was ever heard on a record. The funny story about it is that the amplifier for the guitar player on the record (Ike was playing Piano at the time- Willie Kizart was guitar) had tied his amp to the top of the car, and it fell off. Of course, history is blurry here, but this is my favorite story. The damage caused the tone in the original and Sam liked it, so he used it.
Anyway- Rocket 88. A very special Rock and Roll song…played on the Ukulele by a hack.</TCK>

This was recorded long after Charlie Rich's Sun Records days, but as soon as I saw him on the list of artists this became firmly stuck in my head. Yesterday when I got home I made this video before I even took a shower and changed out of my work clothes just to try and dislodge it.

I promise to have an old rockabilly song by one of the more obscure artists tomorrow.

<TCK> I guess I should preface this by saying that if there were no long and protracted conversations to be had about music, than the need for Musicologists and even music enthusiasts would not be great. This is a very special song- one I don’t do justice, but had to play on that merit alone.
Originally recorded in March of 1951 and engineered by Sam Phillips at Sun Records, the record is credited to “Jackie Brenston and his Delta Cats”…No such thing. It is really Ike Turner and his Kings of Rhythm, the band for whom Brenston was the saxophone player.
Now I know that Ike Turner turned out to be a jerk, but he wrote and arranged a song at 19 years old that blended everything he could hear in jump blues, boogie woogie, swing and country into a sound that many believe was being heard for the first time. Of course the story has LONG been perpetuated by SUN (as their “birthplace of Rock and Roll slogan”) but it really is a special record.
Of course there are lots of other songs that have characteristics like this one. In fact, there are two are three that clearly directly influenced it…but this was it.
Incidentally it is also the first time “fuzz tone” or distorted guitar was ever heard on a record. The funny story about it is that the amplifier for the guitar player on the record (Ike was playing Piano at the time- Willie Kizart was guitar) had tied his amp to the top of the car, and it fell off. Of course, history is blurry here, but this is my favorite story. The damage caused the tone in the original and Sam liked it, so he used it.
Anyway- Rocket 88. A very special Rock and Roll song…played on the Ukulele by a hack.</TCK>

If anything, I love reading the history you're throwing down TCK. This is gold!

In college I ventured one time into what we called the "cheerleader dorm" and was immediately smitten by one of the girls in there...enemy territory as it were, singing a Roger Miller tune. This one. She is still around after all this time.
Turns out Roger Miller had a re-issue on SUN. I blame Rex for this.
Note how I craftily got Melissa to sing A Capela by completely forgetting to strum.

In college I ventured one time into what we called the "cheerleader dorm" and was immediately smitten by one of the girls in there...enemy territory as it were, singing a Roger Miller tune. This one. She is still around after all this time.
Turns out Roger Miller had a re-issue on SUN. I blame Rex for this.
Note how I craftily got Melissa to sing A Capela by completely forgetting to strum.

this. right here. why we play this thing. :love:

Junior Parker wrote this one and recorded his version for Sun Records. Elvis Presley also recorded a great version for Sun. My favorite (well, tied for my favorite) Jim Jarmusch film features both versions and stars my favorite punk rocker, Joe Strummer. Oh, and little Sal has a new toy train.

I just want to thank everyone that joined in today. We had 15 posts and some really special videos. A personal thank you to TCK for educating me along the way this week. He is a wealth of knowledge on the subject of Sun Records and its artists.

I want to make a special invitation to those of you who are missing. There are many faces that I hope to see before the week is out.

So everyone today and everyone that has been following along this week, I want to raise my glass and say well done. I hope the second half of this week continues to be as great as the first!

Screen Shot 2017-02-26 at 10.04.15 PM.jpg

I thought I'd give a sample of our local talent for this week's season. This is our local group that I lead, called the Quad City Ukulele Club performing one of Johnny Cash's best known songs, Folsom Prison Blues. I'm pretty sure you won't find anyone having more fun making their video for this week than the folks here. By the way, the photographer spins in the middle of the room to show everyone playing, they are: Me, Phil (my son), Dave, Laura, Netti, Bob, Ann, John, Donita, Susan, Lori, Tillie, Tom, Linda, Reg, & Linda.

December 4, 1956,was a Red Letter Day. A bunch of Musicians got together for a jam sessiun at Sun Record Studios in Memphis, Tennessee. They included Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkins and Johnny Cash; later known as the Million Dollar Quartet. They were just having fun when Elvis said “Let's Play some Bluegrass.” Now Johnny Cash was well versed in this sort of thing and he led the way.Iam pretty sure this is a tune they played that day. All rise for the Fiddle Player's National Anthem!

This song was written by Johnny Cash and recorded at Sun Studios by Roy Orbison in 1956.

The Carl Perkins Classic song. Written by him it was a hit for him both sides of the Atlantic as well as for Elvis later. I first remember seeing Carl Perkins on Ready Steady Go, a 60s late night TV show over here which featured so many of the 60s big names. IIRC, he sang Matchbox on that occasion. Superb :music:

Written by Carl Perkins, and released by him on Sun Records. Then taken up by Elvis on RCA.

As for this way of playing it, all of the credit must go to someone called Johnny G, a one man band who played in London pubs back in the 80s. Once seen, never forgotten.

An off the cuff down and dirty one take. I wanted to try tuning my uke to A D F# B, so that's what I did. Turns out I still sing off key. Damn.
Malcolm Yelvington

Thought Id try my hand at this mouthful. This was done by so many artist and many of them were Sun artists including MDQ.

Ten Cent Soloist attempts Million Dollar Quartet : Guitalele Rock a Psycho Billy.......

Top Bottom